Electronica - help with specific genre

ViolaCello

Hey all Current & Future Producers,

I wrote this track back as Hurricane Sandy was hitting New York City in an effort to keep from going stir-crazy while being trapped in my apartment while winds and floods were happening outside. My goal at the time was to keep at this track until my electricity went out. When I got power back, I actually liked how this came out, but I never publicized it much because I was unsure of the specific genre. Anyone have any clue as to what genre (other than electronica) this would fall under? I appreciate it, and I’m glad a forum like this exists – I wish I knew of it sooner!

https://soundcloud.com/violacello/hurricane-sandy

I have an album that I bought a while back, I forgot the title but this song would fit right in! It was a Drum N' Bass album from the late 90s.

Haunting vibe. Drums are interesting. Very natural sounding. May I ask what drum program you're using?

Last edited:
Back then I was using Sonar (7?) Producer edition with Session Drummer 2. It took a while to tweak the drum sound but it eventually got there. I kept their acoustic drum sound. DnB, I'd never considered that, but it seems to make sense after the process of elimination. And thanks for chiming in Ely - nice app on your link!

Back then I was using Sonar (7?) Producer edition with Session Drummer 2. It took a while to tweak the drum sound but it eventually got there. I kept their acoustic drum sound. DnB, I'd never considered that, but it seems to make sense after the process of elimination. And thanks for chiming in Ely - nice app on your link!
I'll be honest with you, I didn't listen to your song yet. But to make sure it's drum and bass, it must have some characteristics, like a fast tempo, and punchy kick and snappy snare. What is the tempo of the song?

I don't have the original file in front of me, but the piece is in two parts, 1st part is approx. 88bpm and the 2nd part is around 144bpm or so.

I don't have the original file in front of me, but the piece is in two parts, 1st part is approx. 88bpm and the 2nd part is around 144bpm or so.

Then probably we can't stick it into drum and bass, as most songs range from 160BPM to 180BPM.

Listening to it now, liking the vibes of it! The first part of the song seems much like a trip hop, or something in the lines of it. Can even be something of a old-school dubstep-ish beat, without the wobbling bass. The second (faster) part of the track reminds me of a mix between dub and garage. In fact, I've listened to something like this in one of Skream's earlier albums.

Back