EDM from a total newbie

davidhjlindberg

Hey guys,

I've exported a test I'm making while learning Logic X.
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to music production but have started to know a little bit about EQ, producing in Logic X and so on, but it's still very basic and I don't even know if this song really should be called EDM - maybe electronic pop would be better?

However, I would love to hear some thoughts from you guys. Be cruel.

Last edited:
It was much more musical than I thought it would be. It's quite catchy, has a good buildup. I feel your melodic synths are lacking some energy in them. You should probably try to experiment some more with making those lead synths a little bigger!

All in all I think its good for a "complete newbie", but it's desperately missing a proper beat. So far i only hear a couple of cymbals as far as drums go.

So all I have to say is keep practicing, you seem to be on to something.

Cheers

It was much more musical than I thought it would be. It's quite catchy, has a good buildup. I feel your melodic synths are lacking some energy in them. You should probably try to experiment some more with making those lead synths a little bigger!

All in all I think its good for a "complete newbie", but it's desperately missing a proper beat. So far i only hear a couple of cymbals as far as drums go.

So all I have to say is keep practicing, you seem to be on to something.

Cheers

Thank you very much. Yeah it absolutely needs a real beat and I even think the cymbals are very off, so those needs to be changed as well.

I still don't know exactly how to make a certain instrument "bigger" but I guess it has something to do with a mix of spreading it and maybe placing the higher frequencies more to the left and right. I'll watch some more tutorials and see what I can do.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hey guys,

I've exported a test I'm making while learning Logic X.
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to music production but have started to know a little bit about EQ, producing in Logic X and so on, but it's still very basic and I don't even know if this song really should be called EDM - maybe electronic pop would be better?

However, I would love to hear some thoughts from you guys. Be cruel.

It does not sound so bad, it's better then most things I hear on this forum, atleast the part from 0:32 to 1:00. After that the song just falls. You can call this EDM if you like. I mean 'Electronic Dance Music' is a big term and everything that is electronic and you can dance to is 'EDM'

Last edited:
It does not sound so bad, it's better then most things I hear on this forum, atleast the part from 0:32 to 1:00. After that the song just falls. You can call this EDM if you like. I mean 'Electronic Dance Music' is a big term and everything that is electronic and you can dance to is 'EDM'

Thank you so much! Yeah I agree, I mostly did the last part to experiment on how to make big drops but I also think it's pretty cheesy.
Thanks again!

Back