Smooth Reggae Beat

nice vibe ... i'm not sure about that synth you use tho .. i don't rly think it goes to the rest of the track - drums, bass, guitar, etc.

Keep me posted

I am going to be your most harshest critic when it comes to Reggae. This is my love and passion so when I hear it I look for what I like personally. To me it sounds corny. Almost like it was made from a Casio keyboard. Again this is only my view. Even with Reggae coming out it needs to sounds punchy and full. This sounded dry and open. I advise to make it more bassy and go away from a new age synth and come back to a rhodes or moog. Get that feeling back again. If I close my eyes to this track I imagine a 1980's movie with couple on their honeymoon with the "local band" trying to play a Reggae tune....then back to their Polka music right after.

*Thnx for your Feed my man.. Always like an honest critic, so I can step my game up! Bless!*

now I know you're a real musician! I agree with Nautty - something like a moog would work better ... but now that I'm listening a second time ... I dig the synth you use for your intro ... during the rest of the track, I would suggest either an electric guitar - or just take it out completely b/c the track stands out enough on it's own.

You could try it out but I would definitely try to come up with a different riff altogether for this beat - especially when during the breakdown at 1:48

The drum and bass are weak. Strip it all down, forget about the synth and all of the other keys. The reggae foundation is drum and bass, these 2 alone should stand on their own and if they dont, then don't move on until they do. This is a "rockers" beat (kick on 1), made popular by sly dunbar and robbie shakespeare and perfected by other Jamaicans like the roots radics (Style scott-drums and flabba holt on bass). Check out gregory issaacs "night nurse" album which is mostly rockers. The kick, snare, hi hat and bass should tear the house down - in this beat the drums are stiffled - quantized sounding like an old drum machine. The bass doesn't "rub" against the drums. Check out the song "tidal wave" by frankie paul (sly and robbie on bass and drums). listen to how they manipulate time and space to create a slinky groove. thats "rub". Your drum and bass doesn't have to get that slinky, but it lacks the rub. Get the drum and bass to rub and everything else is icing on the cake.

Back