Pop Track, "Memory Lane"

Terry Wong

Hi everyone! This is my new track made with FL Studio called 'Memory Lane':

Could someone give me some advice on the EQing part? I'm pretty new to mixing, so I wish I could learn more about that.

I remember some time ago I posted a song, and someone told me I should 'cut some of the lower ends around 50hz'. How can I know the frequency bands that

I should boost or cut?:bigeyes: I have heard somebody said generally 0-50hz had better be cut since these frequencies can make the song sound muddy; I have also learnt that EQing can possibly make the kicks sound more 'punchy'. So is there a systematic and reliable way to know all the necessary basic stuff about EQing?

Thanks for your help in advance!

i am still learning eg and creating spaces/environments for groups like a reverb on all drums that makes it sound like they are from the same place.

This track sounds good on my monitors, better than my mixes.

Hey, first sorry if my english is not the best, cause I am from Germany. I am relatively new to mixing too, but I think I can give you some general advise, answering your questions. In general cutting frequencies below 30-40Hz (Lowcut) is a good thing to do, because theres normally nothing of musical imprtance and most speakers can't play it, but if you cut it out (there's mostly noise and some unwanted artefacts going on), it can make room for everything else. Otherwise there is no general rule or something similar when it comes to mixing. For example boosting high frequencies makes the sound a little bit more "airy", but it really depends on what exactly you are mixing. If for example you make the kick more present by boosting around 50-80Hz (you have to listen to it to determine where exactly you should boost), it may be a good idea to cut out the same amount in the bass. So basically every part of your song needs its place in the frecuency spectrum, but there is no system on how to exactly do it, but to listen. Generally cutting is a better idea than boosting. You could for example watch the fabfilter tutorial on EQ Tipps and Tricks to get a starting point.

This is good work! Nice lead synth.
And actually, the kick is just right. Snare complements the kick nicely, nice snare/kick combination.
Which synth are you using (which software?). If you are new to mixing, you've done a really, really good job here.

For percussion, I'm only using those already provided in FL Studio. In fact, many different types of drums, snares, hats, etc. can be found in the 'Packs' session, so I'm already happy with that since I'm just making beats (or tunes) for fun. Perhaps the fact that the percussion part luckily turned out to sound okay has much to do with the sound design. I mean, the samples are of high quality all along, nothing really credited to me. I imagine there are still loads of mixing techniques which can help in many ways, like bring out the snare and kick sound, clear up the general sound, so on and so forth.

As of the synth, those built-in plugins generally seem to be a bit for making futuristic tracks. For me, I like to add some orchestra pads to make it sound 'thicker', or sometimes, some classical instrumental motifs to make it more epic :cool: , and I was thinking Vst like Massive and Nexus are quite good particular for that.

Back