This is not "big" enough. Feedback will be returned.

Hey man! I just took a listen. Can you give an example of a song that sounds "big" in your genre? From what I hear so far the drums and vocals should be turned up and you should compress/limit a bit more on the master bus. Can give more feedback with an example though :)

Hey man! I just took a listen. Can you give an example of a song that sounds "big" in your genre? From what I hear so far the drums and vocals should be turned up and you should compress/limit a bit more on the master bus. Can give more feedback with an example though :)

Thank you for answering - I appreciate it. I will get into your tweaks asap!

It is not the same genre, but for example in XXXTentacion - Jocelyn Flores (from 0:13-0:40) it sounds extremely wide and just huge. Almost as if the sound was coming from everywhere, and wider than the regular left/right if you get what I mean.

I have doubled the rhythm and "melody"-guitar, and panned them all hard left and right. + panned two doubled keyboard-parts hard left and right, but it almost sounds mono to my ears compared to the example.

Add some compression and EQ to the drums and vocals and it should sound more crisp and clear. Not sure what you mean by big though.

Try recording one of the guitars again, but make it sound noticeably different than the alternate guitar. Do that in any way you want it's up to you. They sound similar enough that I could imagine that's contributing to the more intimate feel as opposed to open. I'd also recommend taking a little bite from the guitars whether by eq'ing out some high mids or simply bringing the volume down a little. You have a nice track here, love the bass.
I'd be interested in how the little bridge sounds without a kick drum, it will sound barren and wrong when you first take it out but it could be worth a try.

Keep going!

Try recording one of the guitars again, but make it sound noticeably different than the alternate guitar. Do that in any way you want it's up to you. They sound similar enough that I could imagine that's contributing to the more intimate feel as opposed to open. I'd also recommend taking a little bite from the guitars whether by eq'ing out some high mids or simply bringing the volume down a little. You have a nice track here, love the bass.
I'd be interested in how the little bridge sounds without a kick drum, it will sound barren and wrong when you first take it out but it could be worth a try.

Keep going!

Thank you for the advice! Ill try it all!

I think the issue is your drums. Drums themselves can change the overall sound and feel of everything. If you add a bus with reverb and mess with the wet/dry setting you might find what your looking for. Drums need ambiance. There's a video of Brian May explaining how Queen recorded and mixed Bohemian Rhapsody (I cant post links yet but if you go to youtube and type in "inside the rhapsody" it is part 3 of 3) the part about the drums starts at about the 24 minute mark. If you want to jump ahead but I recommend watching the whole thing

I think the issue is your drums. Drums themselves can change the overall sound and feel of everything. If you add a bus with reverb and mess with the wet/dry setting you might find what your looking for. Drums need ambiance. There's a video of Brian May explaining how Queen recorded and mixed Bohemian Rhapsody (I cant post links yet but if you go to youtube and type in "inside the rhapsody" it is part 3 of 3) the part about the drums starts at about the 24 minute mark. If you want to jump ahead but I recommend watching the whole thing

Great advice! I'll check the video asap.

What exactly about the drums do you think are the issue and how do you think that's effecting the sound he's going for?
Personally I think the snare might be clashing with the vocals a little at times, but regarding ambience, I think they are fine for this style of music.
There is already enough reverb going on with the vocals and guitars, if anything I feel the slightly dryer drums compliment that nicely.

Last edited:
Wow. I like it a lot. Reminds me of POND mixed with Grizzly Bear. It actually sounds pretty big to me on my monitors. I think maybe what you could do to enhance the "bigness" is to make the snare sound more punchy by making it more mono and having a little boost over the mid-highs in the EQ. The kick could also use a bit more low end to it. Besides that, I think this track is pretty much incredibly solid as is.

Back