There I Go by YJ Vasco

yjvasco

check out my new track i posted on soundcloud...let me know what yall think as always F4F produced the track and thats me on the vocals, coming out with a new project very soon

thank you, i appreciate it very much

To be honest, I don't think you flow well over this track. The beat itself is nice. I like the guitar. I would probably put more punch in the drums though. Just my opinion, but I think they could come through a little more. Keep grinding brother. Thanks for the feed.

I started producing because I was a rapper and our studio lost its whole production team. I know the grind. It can be taxing. Since I'm a rapper first, my 10,000 hours were spent writing and rewriting and revising and making sure I found how to say exactly what I wanted while maintaining a crisp flow. If I had to guess, it seems like you have spent more time making beats than just straight flowing.

I say that because this beat is tight. Could use more punch on the percussion, but it's mixed well and sounds tight.

The flow could use some work. I can hear that you got a lot to say, man. It comes through. But the flow is chopped and sounds rushed in places and leaves gaps in others.

The way I started was to make sure that I understood the rhythm. In my view, it's a nearly absolute rule that you have to stress at least 4 syllables above all others: the ones that hit the 1,2, 3 and 4. You can also insert a pause on the up and down beats, but it's either gotta be a pause or a stressed syllable. I have not heard a professional song yet that doesn't follow.

Next step was to figure out ways to fill in the other spaces. Syllable counting. 7-13 syllables on a routine 90-100 tempo track (more on a slower double timed 70-85 tempo track, and probably closer to 7-10 on a 110-120 tempo track).

Get comfortable with those things. Don't even worry about what you say.

To be honest, when I was first learning, I'd just grab whatever book I had off the shelf and start rapping the words to the flow of the rhythm of various styled tracks. I found about 4 of 5 styles that suited my voice and breath control best.

Then I started focusing on those beats and did the same thing. Flowed passages from books and poems and even put my own spin on other people's music. I did that to learn what words and sounds seemed most natural to me and to figure out where my limit was before I had to breath. Depending on tempo, I've got a good 4-6 bars in me before I have to take a short breath. And my short a's and long i's were the sounds that had the most punch for me.

So then I started writing my thoughts down. At first, I'd start our writing random punch lines or rhyming words or thoughts or concepts and string them together.

Eventually, I found my shortcuts for all of those steps.

But the grind was necessary.

Maybe some of that will help clean up your flow some. It's not terrible by any stretch, but it's inconsistent and could use mastery.

Cheers bro

appreciate that...a lot of useful stuff in there, imma have to try these steps u placed...i started writing first...just writing tho, got into beats a little after that, and then decided to rap over them...ive been recording "seriously" for about three years...i kinda like having an awkward flow cuz its a little different, but if it affects the listeners experience, that aint good either...so i get what ur saying and i really do appreciate it...imma def. try this out man

No problem man. Hard to know where people come from without knowing their stories. I respect the grind, especially of someone who does both. Hope it helps. At the end of the day, though, we all gotta do what seems real to us.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it!

- I thought the beat was alright
- The drums could pop more in my opinion and i felt the instrument selection could be better (in terms of selecting better sounds)
- The mix on the vocals is above average -- its actually less roomy/reverby than alot of tracks ive heard on here
- The rapping is alright in my opinion -- lyrics are cool and flow is average -- nothing really stands out in my opinion

Keep grinding playa!

You def seem like to you're passionate. That comes through, but you're delivery and flow needs some help. Maybe its just this track. The vocals just don't pop out.

From a producer stand point, I always get caught up in the beat, no matter who's rapping. And on this, I feel a non producer would as well. Cause the beat is grade A. Not putting you down at all man, you have it right there, you're just a few steps outs with your rap. You can do it though.

Played this back again just to listen to the lyrics. Lets work sometime.

Last edited:
@inFormal_aJ thanks man, appreciate it...ill def check out the drums, see whats going on there...ill check urs out right now

@BL3 for sure bro, no worries i got...thanks man, still alot of work to do

@Myrical Lyfe thanks, appreciate that...def should link up sometime

@kdanger i appreciate u enjoyed the beat, maybe work on vocal presence? ill def look into this

@koollord for sure man, thanks

Back