"Oooh sliced" SP 404sx beat. 100% Feed return

CharlieTooHuman

Once again, I have not posted anything in a good minute. Been mad busy trying to find a job lol.

Anyway, I've been making a lot of my beats with hardware lately (specifically the SP 404 and Microkorg) and I found it quite liberating from the confines of software, in my opinion... Although I can do A LOT more with Reason slaved into Ableton, but hardware has been a nice a change of pace for me.

This is like the second complete beat I've done on the SP 404sx. I haven't had a chance to hear it from some speakers, but it sounded decent on my headphones. It definitely needs some eq, especially on the low end/bass.

Let me know what you all think:

2nd mix:

I'll return all feedback.

Peace.

Last edited:
That's pretty tight for not using any software. The chop ups are nice. I only feel that you could have let the "ooh" sample breathe a bit before the next sample kicks in (hopefully you know what I mean) it feels a bit rushed. Otherwise it sounds like something for an NYC emcee to spit on (not papoose though haha). Good stuff though

Thanks man! Yeah, I get what you mean, unfortunately I already formatted my SD card :( downsides to working with hardware; you gotta backup everything. But, thanks for the feedback! I'll keep that in mind for my future chops.

Hey Charlie Buttonup, thanks for the feed. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the intro either. It was just a spur of the moment thing since I was playing it live lol

Yeah, I have a few on my soundcloud. But, I'll be posting more in the coming weeks.

I just left feedback on your track. Dope song! Having family from Denver, I enjoyed it greatly.

First of all, GET THAT MONEY. Lol salute to you 4 keeping it funky bout that job hunt grind. I like the drums and "clicking" percussion on this. The chops were cool. I like the "hop" of the track. As is...you're definitely going to need a dope emcee for this to be complete.

I listened twice. The fuzzy synth wasnt working for me first go round and on the 2nd listen I didnt mind it. Maybe if you kept it as something you were ending the track off with I'd say keep it. Otherwise, I wouldnt want to hear it constantly, at least not played like that.

You can check out work I produced in my sig or you can check me out HERE. As always, drop positive feed on my cloud, I got you on yours. 1Hunnit.

Thanks for the feed everyone. Based on some of the suggestions, I reworked the mastering a bit. I cut down on unnecessary content on the low end, minimal boost around 60hz, and livened up the harmonics on the higher frequencies. I also pushed the hard limiter just a tinge and added minor compression to the entire mix. I still haven't had the chance to listen on some decent speakers aside from the ones in my '99 accord lol.

As for McLovin's suggestion, I also reworked the synth. Not sure if he had an issue with the actual playing or the sound, but I tried my best to make it sound better than it was before. To tell the truth, I was playing live directly off my microkorg, so it did sound a bit awkward.

Here's the new mix:

I'll drop this in the OP in case anyone wants to compare/contrast.

Last edited:
Haha this sounds like a 404 made beat (I have the Sp-404), there's is that "chopped" vibe to it. I agree with the others posters about the intro, it sounds a little too "choppy." The rest is nice, would be easy to freestyle too.

Haha this sounds like a 404 made beat (I have the Sp-404), there's is that "chopped" vibe to it. I agree with the others posters about the intro, it sounds a little too "choppy." The rest is nice, would be easy to freestyle too.

Thanks for the feed GBREAL!

Yeah, I'll probably cut the real choppy part of the intro entirely using protools. I was planning to drop the track over some video clips of a samurai movie I enjoy and then upload on youtube, so I'll definitely fix that intro until then.

And I am loving the SP-404. It's so nice to sample on the go with little to no assistance from the computer. I am considering getting a multitrack tape deck to record to, so I can get that old school beattape sound for all of my later tracks and mix my other instruments (microkorg & kP3) into the beats without having to resort to pro tools.

man this is too niiice..good chops...and those drums man...are they o so crunchy me liiikes...mixed well too...keep it up with that hardware man..i just bout forgot how good analog sounds

Back