making trap beats..808 bass and kick

clintburg

Hello fellas! I'm new to making trap beats and I have a question... when using 808 bass and kicks, do I play the kick drum underneath the 808 bass... If not, how do I play the kick off of the bass?
It sounds like that's whats happening but I'm not sure.
Please let me know if I'm right or not.

You can layer the kick with the 808 or you can seperate them for a better groove, its all about the style.

Hello fellas! I'm new to making trap beats and I have a question... when using 808 bass and kicks, do I play the kick drum underneath the 808 bass... If not, how do I play the kick off of the bass?
It sounds like that's whats happening but I'm not sure.
Please let me know if I'm right or not.
Sidechain the bass with the kick so that when the kick drum hits it punches through the bass. Since the frequency of kicks can have a low range alongside the bass it's a good idea to get it to cut through the bass otherwise it can sound muddy otherwise(unless that's deliberately the sound you're going for). Sometimes you have 808s with presets that already have the punching sound so the job is done for you already but sometimes if you just have a deep sub-bass sine wave with no kick to it you would need to do that.

Hope this helps.

^ exactly what mangoman said. If you want to do the technique you're talking about in OP, look up sidechaining. It can be tricky at first. If you find it frustrating then just look for 808s that already hit like kick drums to save yourself the headache

Back