THE ICON SERIES VOL.1 - R Kelly (prod. by Gotham)

makingofgotham

Aye guys I'm back with a new series where I'll be sampling iconic R&B figures on a weekly basis. The purpose of this series is to generate hype for the mixtape I'm releasing later this year with my friend and recording artist PRKR called DRKNGHTS.

On a sidenote I'm finally on instagram and will be available there to talk collaborations and stuff like that, link can be found in description.

Here is THE ICON SERIES VOL.1 brought to you by Gotham Beats

THE ICON SERIES VOL.1 - R Kelly (prod. by Gotham) by gothambeats | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
yo..this is good...the drums is well design..808 is lit..maybe if u make a lot variation on hihat pattern it will change the mood in certain part..but that's just my opinion...overall is nice :))))

thanks for the comment on my thread

Just listened to your beat and left you a comment on your soundcloud!! - the part i liked the most is how the vocal sample sat in the beat - keep it up :)

yo..this is good...the drums is well design..808 is lit..maybe if u make a lot variation on hihat pattern it will change the mood in certain part..but that's just my opinion...overall is nice :))))

i agree about the hi hat since it stands out here it would be good to change it up but thats small this is sum nice work u have here sir keep it up and have a good day

Thanks for the feedback on my track, This is dope, I love the vocal sample. After listening to this, I can hear what you mean about my drums as your mix here is sounding crisp!

Wasn't sure what I was getting into in the beginning but as the 808 dropped I was like "oh yeah, we're in here now". You did a good job mixing the vocals in. Only criticism I have is that it gets a little repetitive. When you get to your piano melody, like at 2:20 for example, add some counter melodies. Could be another piano layer or another instrument layer..just something to keep the audience's attention. Overall good work. I gave you a follow on your account, would appreciate it if you returned the favor;) hope to hear more from you

[F4F] Schoolboy Q | A$AP Rocky type beat | Switch Up

I really like the drum pattern on this. I feel the main melody could come up a tad bit, but that's a matter of taste and would probably differ from person to person. Overall a very solid beat

Sick track man, really like the kind of dissonant sound going on with the vocals and the overall mixing. I do feel like you could change the arrangement possibly as around 2 min the repetetiveness of the drums starts to wear for me, so like when that piano comes in you could take away the drums even and build back into the drums with a slightly more complex pattern or slight addition of sounds something to change it up. Later on I felt like some of the vocals could be more forward in the mix, but it still works well for sure, so you could add another layer of vocals over the top somewhere in the track too to layer it up so you have more to build to in the track and then when you take away bits there's layers to what could be left, as the track is 4 mins ish it's hard to hold people for that long unless the arrangement etc is a bit different or there's vocals/rap.

Hey Gotham. I really like the Vocal sample and how you filtered it. I was expecting you to go somewhere else with the chords though. I was imagining something more RNB'ish while listening to the intro. Pretty good drums, especially the kick and 808, nice. Im like how you changed it up around 1:48: The way you flipped the sample here, fits more with the 808 and the tones of them, in my opinion. Keep it up!

- Headnod

You filtered that really dope. I'd be curious to hear what your process was for filtering that vocal sample.

Drums are dope, I didn't have a problem with the hats, actually. I really wanted that sample to come back in like 8 bars into the verse ?. Still dope though, very well made!

Nice sampling work bro. Its already been said but yeah i think those vocals need more attention here, no complains for anything else tho. I really like that choppy part in the middle. This shit is solid overall bro. Good work

Not sure if I'm a huge fan of some of those piano chords in there. A few sound a little goofy with the vocals and it sounds a bit empty when they are just by themselves. The drums are great though for sure. Well mixed too. The part at 2 minutes is definitely the best. Those chopped vocals with those 808s is perfect. I would have liked more of that instead of the piano chords.

The keys are a bit bright in my opinion and they sound like a vst they don't sound realistic. Try using a bit of eq and varying volume and take them off the grid a bit. The 808 is nice but it is clashing with the low end of the vocal sample when it first comes in with the keys in the beginning. This is a really dope idea just needs a little bit of improvement in the mix.

Nice beat. I enjoyed chord progression change @ 1:10. Imo, drums sound quiet mono. If it is your intention. Drums pattern is tight tho. Enjoyed a bunch. :)

- donguy

Great Beat bro. Definitely trap soul. I don't think the hi hat pattern fit or maybe it's the hi hat type. Idk, but i dont think it fits. Other than that nice job.

I'm returning the love.

I liked the drums and that part at 3:00 with the sped up vocals is fire. I think you could beef up the piano a little bit and up the vocals in the mix. Nice job overall.

Back