How do I make a soulection type beat? What should i start with? Hows the layout? HELP

Beardur

How do I make a soulection type beat? What should i start with? Hows the layout? HELP.

I really enjoy the soulection sounds, but i cant make the beats and I want to , im using Cubase and fruityloops, which program is better to use to make these beats? Also, where do i start? Any help would be appreciated.

Soulection is not a single producer, so depends on which ones you are referring to. Like Esta or Ta-ku? It all comes down to what samples and synths you use. I can't really explain how. All I can say is that if you're new to making beats, you're not going to be able to make these types of tracks right off the bat. I personally would go with FL, just because I've never used Cubase, but one thing you should keep in mind is that it doesn't matter what equipment/gear/instruments you use, it all comes down to you as an artist.

Can't really explain how to make these kinds of beats, because there is a lot that you need to find out for yourself, but I will give you a couple helpful tips when it comes to laying down the drums so you can get that off-kilter swing that a majority of soulection producers have in their tracks. Play your hi-hats by hand, as in use a drum pad or your keyboard to tap out the hi-hats. Practice tapping the hihats in a swinging rhythm and you will start to hear that groove that a lot of their beats have. Tap along to one of their beats in 4/4 sig and you will begin to feel the rhythm of their tracks. Also, REFRAIN from using quantization when laying down your drums. Quantizing your drums will kill the human vibe that your beats should have. It's all about being human with these kinds of beats... Giving it that natural flow.

Good luck!

Hey! Thanx so much, yes I just enjoy there sound as a whole especially artists like sango, pyrymdplaza, and sam gallaitry. Wow your reply is helping me put it into perspective, I will try an not use quantization because i use that for all my beats....thanx again.

Yeah keeping an human touch to the drums is one of the main things.
Next thing are the kind of chords many of their artists use. Go for minor, dissonant and/ or jazzy chords. I not that big into music theory so I can't give you much more information here, but also try to keep the chord progression simple. You can write solid tracks with just 2 chords in it.
Whats also pretty simple and effective is just shifting chords. So for example take an atmospheric pad and the Em chord (E G B) for a half bar, and just shift it down 5 semitones (to Bm) for a 1/4 bar and then up again 3 semitones (Dm) for the remaining 1/4 bar. This is really really basic, but I love the vibe that these kind of chord progressions create and from there it's all about trying different stuff and find out what suits best.

My problem these days is, to stay creative. I really know what kind of beats I want to produce but I fail at shutting off my brain and let it flow. It sucks. And I fear there's no real solution for it haha..

Last edited:
hey! Ya I should try out that chord progression because I have really ran out of ideas too! Sometimes i feel my chords sound too easy. lol ya i know what you mean, normally what i do to generate ideas is i just play on my drum loop i created and sometimes whatchout for mistakes, that normally gets me going to thinking differently....

Back