F4F - track with emcees, fresh flip on classic Dilla sample

The Funk Junkie

Just put out this joint with two different emcees, flipped a classic J Dilla sample into my own thing. Hope you guys like it. All feed will be returned (post your link) as always and any comments on the SC link is always appreciated :cool:.

If you're big into mixing, any helpful criticism regarding the bass will especially helpful. I tried to find a balance with the upper end and the deep thump, not sure if I hit it just right but the goal was for it to fill out speakers with low bass but also stick through on smaller systems that don't have the low end...

This is dope bro. Old school hard hitting new york type stuff. I see the dilla inspiration. I'm really feeling the mix on this, can tell you know what you're doing.
Here's my track, ironically went for a similar vibe except more moody like MF DOOM:https://www.futureproducers.com/for...-trap-dirty-south-etc/my-1st-chop-f4f-533679/

Thanks man, glad you like it. I think we just posted at the same time haha. Definitely feeling the MF Doom style on your track!

I actually don't listen to Hip Hop at all, so sorry if I can't provide any quality advice but I think it was quite an enjoyable listen. The sounds fit very well together and you succeed at creating a nice vibe. The trumpet (is it a trumpet?) which appears later in the background adds a funky touch which I liked a lot.

Naaah that breakdown near the end was sick, good work!! I really enjoyed this track, the volumes are consistent and the bass really comes through.
My grudge is the wah-wah section, it felt a bit messy, possibly it was too loud. I can imagine it sounding more fitting if it was quieter.

Keep it up!

-ORVA

This is a really dope beat it's chill as fuck and easy to vibe with. I had no idea this was a Dilla beat I've heard other rappers over it a few times. It's a nice flip though I think everything is well mixed and panned. I really liked the saxophone that came in. Everything is solid I can't really point out anything that could be improved. Good shit man

The mix is really clean! The vocals sound crisp, this is tight! The beat is real too. This is super cool track. There's nothing to critique really, I think it's good! The melodies are clean too.

Dope. My favorite type of hiphop is kicking it oldschool, as for the mix I can only give you a thumbs up for this one sir. Awesome track!

This shit is hard bro. Gonna give you a follow. Im digging the vibes and the sound. Classic clair sample. Chops wer on point.

Dude I love this, I think that the trumpet with hard-pan and so much reverb are a little bit in contradiction with the mix, but it's really a detail my man this is still a terrific track!

This is so nostalgic ! Love the funkiness and the mix might sound weird to some people but I kind of dig how raw the stuff sounds, old school tracks like aren't supposed to sound clean like that. Really good job on this one !

Dude I love this, I think that the trumpet with hard-pan and so much reverb are a little bit in contradiction with the mix, but it's really a detail my man this is still a terrific track!

That's a good point, I originally had it more centered but I was trying to widen the mix as a whole. Maybe, I overcompensated, good ear and thanks for the constructive criticism!!

This shit is hard bro. Gonna give you a follow. Im digging the vibes and the sound. Classic clair sample. Chops wer on point.

yeah the Clair sample definitely has some mileage to it but it's one of my favorites. I"m glad you like it, your stuff is dope too!

I actually don't listen to Hip Hop at all, so sorry if I can't provide any quality advice but I think it was quite an enjoyable listen. The sounds fit very well together and you succeed at creating a nice vibe. The trumpet (is it a trumpet?) which appears later in the background adds a funky touch which I liked a lot.

yup, it's a trumpet, glad you like it and thanks for the feed!

My grudge is the wah-wah section, it felt a bit messy, possibly it was too loud. I can imagine it sounding more fitting if it was quieter.

I hear you, the vocals do seem a little too quiet there in comparison. I might tweak it slightly before I put out the whole project, thanks for the extra ears.

CCool beat. I don't really dig the emcees that much to be fair it just sounds like a lot of filler with good flows .. but still sounds kinda dated.. The beat is a bit different I like the things u add like trumpet and wobbles and how u glitch it up during the end .. Its much more refreshing than just a 4 bar loop on loop lloll .. Not a bad song! Keep it up .. Rtf peace https://www.futureproducers.com/for...th-etc/yourself-outss-ft-chloe-opondo-533590/

Haha, that's cool no worries. I love the verses but I get what you're saying with the style, glad you're feeling the beat though!

woooooo...this shit is classic bro!..damn where do i start the first verse dude reminded me of some old school mos def that flow was sick..that sax that comes in is perfect...at 1:47 that warped sound is crazy...at 2:27 that breakdown was sick i like how u highlighted just the bass for a sec into the transition was perfect i have nothing to add you killed this... gonna download..and you gotta new follower..look fwd to hearing more stuff man

Love it man. Chops are great and I really like the filter effects. Everything sounds good, but if u can maybe get your kick to punch a little harder, it would sound even better in my opinion. Other than that the mix sounds good and the vocal goes great with it. Keep up the good work.

the kick needs sub bass, it sounds really weak, maybe boost the mid bass a little too. im digging the samples and melodies though, hella sick and chill

Back