Earl Sweatshirt Type Beat Lofi Boom Bap Feedback for Feedback 100% Guarantee

J-Hershey

Pretty straight forward lofi boombap track. Was trying to get better with using compression on different elements so the beat isn't just a murky mess. Please listen and leave some constructive feedback. As always it will be returned.

diggin the overall groove of this whole beat, the drums are hitting on point and still has that "Muddy" effect. Which a good thing on a beat like this. Nice sound choice you picked great instruments to support the backbone of the melody. Great mix also, keep it up!

Love the vibe and the way you chopped the sample.Drums are also punchy and it has a fat bassline!Good stuff bro!Keep it up!

The sample is dope and the way you mixed the drums makes it work well. Only thing I would say is to make your breakdowns a little smoother cause one or two sounded a little random, other than that good stuff and solid track.

Those drums are killer, loving the key sample too. Definitely lo-fi, what are you using to make this? Doesn't sound digital at all (in a good way). I'd consider adding more of a chorus section to fill it out but I think it's pretty dope all around. If you wanted a little more bounce you could add some hi-hats but it's fine as is imo...

I like the drum sounds man. Especially that snare. The drums sound nice and organic. Are those samples you used or synths? Or maybe both? Either way pretty dope sounds used in this. Really helps carry the track. I like the choppy snare part. Sounds nice and full man good shit!

Here's mine: Prehistoric Swing [F4F] Returning All Feedback

Straight fire bro. I liked the way you chopped up the sample and those drums fit in perfect. Definitely an Earl Sweatshirt type beat but I can also hear Nas on it. This beat has a nice retro feel to it. Keep up the good work homie. Maybe we can collaboration one day. I also stopped by your soundcloud page

This is dope. I fuck with this. Love the dusty drums. The sample work is nice as well. No complaints about this one.

thanks for your feedback, now returning
Excellent lo-fi dirty drums! I wouldn't mind if there were few more elements making this song a bit more interesting! Very nice sample chop and overall drums arrangement! Good one!!

Yo J Hershey, im kind of confused about the use of the term "lo-fi". I keep hearing it used in thread titles and on some other music production sites I've come across.
I thought I had an idea of what this meant and then I see you mention Earl.
If someone's could give me some examples as far as artists doing lofi stuff, I would appreciate it.
As far as this beat goes, I fucks witit. I really like the drums, although you say you were messing around with compression. I think the snares could use a little more of that snap.
Also, I don't know if this is characteristic of lofi beats but I feel like this could use some more clarity on the mixing end.
Btw, I subscribed to your SoundCloud and have been checking your stuff lately.
Keep up the good work fam.

Nice feel to it. Very simple which would allow the emcee to really explore different types of rhyme schemes. The only thing I would say is it gets a little repetitive but maybe that's the point since most of Earls beats are similar in style. Overall nice track I'd love to hear someone spit on this to see where the track would go from there.

Check my new track I just dropped.

Conscious Club Rap (Denver)

Last edited:
this one is funky bro i really enjoy the mood of it. definitely sounds like something joey badass would go in on. keep it up

Those drums are killer, loving the key sample too. Definitely lo-fi, what are you using to make this? Doesn't sound digital at all (in a good way). I'd consider adding more of a chorus section to fill it out but I think it's pretty dope all around. If you wanted a little more bounce you could add some hi-hats but it's fine as is imo...

it is all digital I use Maschine :cool:

Yo J Hershey, im kind of confused about the use of the term "lo-fi". I keep hearing it used in thread titles and on some other music production sites I've come across.
I thought I had an idea of what this meant and then I see you mention Earl.
If someone's could give me some examples as far as artists doing lofi stuff, I would appreciate it.
As far as this beat goes, I fucks witit. I really like the drums, although you say you were messing around with compression. I think the snares could use a little more of that snap.
Also, I don't know if this is characteristic of lofi beats but I feel like this could use some more clarity on the mixing end.
Btw, I subscribed to your SoundCloud and have been checking your stuff lately.
Keep up the good work fam.

Lofi is def a vauge term but it usually applies to beats that have lower fidelity of quality on purpose to achieve an aesthetic or a nostalgic feel. On this track I used the crackling vinyl from the sample to my advantage to make a beat that matches its "dusty" quality. So the drums have low pass filters and lower bit rates to give it that feel. A lot of people including myself, madlib, earl, dig this sound. Its like the dirty quality of early hip hop mixed with new equipment.

Back