Diamond

D-toks

New original song. Pretty pleased with it had some feedback from a few people I know but always good to get more. Thanks.

The strongest part of the song is the hooks for sure. Your verses are kinda meh wasn't really a big fan of your flows on them. It was the way you were saying the words that kinda wasn't good in my opinion. But the beat was perfect, and when listening to the hook I got a heavy drake feel from it especially the masterful way you used autotune in there.

The strongest part of the song is the hooks for sure. Your verses are kinda meh wasn't really a big fan of your flows on them. It was the way you were saying the words that kinda wasn't good in my opinion. But the beat was perfect, and when listening to the hook I got a heavy drake feel from it especially the masterful way you used autotune in there.

This is great. Thanks. Yes the hook definitely I have to credit the sample for being able to stimulate how that all developed. Fit very naturally because to me the sample sounds like it was screaming Diamond and that stood out to me instantly. To this day I do not know what the sample is actually saying.

For the verses did you prefer verse 1 or 2? I get that you were not feeling either but which did you feel was better if you had to choose? Also can you elaborate on how I was saying the words...i.e. what aspect of the delivery was offputting to you (i.e. The speed? The enunciation? Too lazy/laid back? Something other?

And thanks for that compliment Drake as we all know is at the top of the game so to even remind you of him at any point in the song is a compliment in itself. Appreciate it.

The beat was really good, but the only thing I can say you need to work on is your diction. It's really hard to understand what you're saying sometimes. The chorus was actually really good though and I found myself enjoying that a lot. I would also chill on the reverb and auto-tune a bit. Also maybe leave out the doubling of the voice, it just comes off a bit much. Love that chorus just would be so much better with a little less of that reverb and auto-tune. You got a good thing going though buddy, love it!

The beat was really good, but the only thing I can say you need to work on is your diction. It's really hard to understand what you're saying sometimes. The chorus was actually really good though and I found myself enjoying that a lot. I would also chill on the reverb and auto-tune a bit. Also maybe leave out the doubling of the voice, it just comes off a bit much. Love that chorus just would be so much better with a little less of that reverb and auto-tune. You got a good thing going though buddy, love it!

High Flown on the beat the credit is all his on that not mine at all I will pass along your kind words to him. I agree it was fire!

Thanks for the feedback on the performance also. Ahhhh you know I'm definitely in a bit of limbo when it comes to flowing in a way that is laid back and "makes it look easy" versus trying hard to enunciate every word to the point where the flow seems too constricted. Do you know what I mean? Like...take future or partynextdoor some might say they have such laid back flow but many do say they can't understand what they are saying but who cares the melody is great some might say. Then others have better diction like Drake and Chance and Cole, and people really appreciate that too. It's like a fine balance and why I struggle is I really like laid back flows but I really do spend time perfecting the lyrics and word play so if the audience can't understand what I'm saying then that purpose is defeated in the process. Who are some artists you feel really balance the ease of flowing effortlessly without sacrificing the ability for a listener to understand that I could benefit from listening to more of, or do you think I mentioned the right people already and just need to reel in a little bit with respect to how extreme I'm sacrificing enunciation for flow?

I don't actually mix my own vocals so I do not know how much reverb/tuning goes in there but will pass along feedback as well. I am horrible at engineering I understand the theory and can speak to it from a knowledge point of view but my application skills are subpar when it comes to mixing/mastering my own stuff so I leave it to others and focus on performance.

Glad to hear the hook was on point for sure because it seems in modern times people really need memorable hooks to remember a song. So it's good to hear the hook came through for you. I do want the verses to come through also though the verses are equally if not more important to me because they represent what I'm really trying to say to whoever or whatever the song is about.

And okay point noted regarding doubling. I definitely remember deciding to even quadruple and quintuple some parts while recording - very extra as you noted - I think I was under the impression that more doubles can bring more depth/width to vox but even my engineers have told me since that they can really make songs fat with less and often less can be more same as you've indicated. I get carried away while recording doubles and harmonies for sure I'm trying to cut down since it also because a timesink doing so much.

Thanks this was more of the great advice that I have been seeking.

Last edited:
can i screw this down?
sounds like some travis scott shit.

few questions :

1. Do you make your own beats?
2. If so do you mix
3. If not are you apart of the process?

that second verse is tight as hell man, i like this shit if you wanna collab i might have some shit that you might like

can i screw this down?
sounds like some travis scott shit.

few questions :

1. Do you make your own beats?
2. If so do you mix
3. If not are you apart of the process?

that second verse is tight as hell man, i like this shit if you wanna collab i might have some shit that you might like
Haha keepin it simple works too thanks for the feedback I'll take that.

To answer your Q's:

1 & 2: I am not a producer nor an engineer. I write, sing, and rap. I just focus on honing those crafts and have others who take care of production and engineering - crafts which they have honed.

3: I am involved but more reviewing mix drafts I receive not really in a sense of I'm riding the faders or dialing in the amount on the effects or anything like that. As I said I leave that to people who know what they are doing moreso than I would. Once I've mastered my own craft I'll try to expand and include the others if I feel I can be proficient at them. Really just focusing on writing and performance for now.

Last edited:
Back