F4F Frank Ocean type beat: Clouds by Mango

Hey this is cool! I feel like the instruments are a little too bright and present compared the muted bass tone since it's supposed to be a bit more chill, so the piano for example is super bright. I liked when you did some auto filter effects on it because it was more lofi. Not sure if vocals would help mellow it out. Another thing is that some of your chords progressions should end conclusively because the progression while beautiful, ends on an up note where it should be further down in the harmonics for a kind of conclusive feel.

all that said, I would totally try to work out some vocals for this, and I'm pretty picky, so it's definitely Frank isshh. It would need more erosion and weird cassette tape effects to really be a Frank track hehe

Hey this is cool! I feel like the instruments are a little too bright and present compared the muted bass tone since it's supposed to be a bit more chill, so the piano for example is super bright. I liked when you did some auto filter effects on it because it was more lofi. Not sure if vocals would help mellow it out. Another thing is that some of your chords progressions should end conclusively because the progression while beautiful, ends on an up note where it should be further down in the harmonics for a kind of conclusive feel.

all that said, I would totally try to work out some vocals for this, and I'm pretty picky, so it's definitely Frank isshh. It would need more erosion and weird cassette tape effects to really be a Frank track hehe
Thanks for the advice and taking the time to critique.

I was thinking of using e.g. the vocals for Nikes which has parts that fit(which was kinda what I was going for in the song). I was also planning of doing some pitch shifting and changing the formants if anyone did any vocals on it. I try not to use very known vocals or at least long stretches of samples due to copyright issues. I think your right on the brightness part. Think I could use an atmospheric pad and make it lo-fi with some filtering.

Thanks for the feedback. You have anything for me to look at?

Yeah i made a new track and i like the direction but it might too busy:

Listen to Rouge (rough demo) by Aleya #np on #SoundCloud
Rouge (rough demo) by Aleya | Aleya | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Yeah I see what you are saying with the busyness. I reckon cutting out the low mids would help or having a couple stuff in the higher register might work with all those instruments. Or a bit more sidechaining/compression with the kick so that that there's more room. I think it can work with those instruments with the EQ.

I like the song though. Sounds a lot like The Internet/Syd. (I'm an Odd Future fan if you couldn't tell)

Back