90's R&B inspired song

Heellooow fellow producers, check out this new track I produced. The singer wanted something that sounded like 90's R&B so I listened to lot of old school R&B, mostly SWV, Soul For Real, Mary J Blige, and such. I wanted it to sound kinda experimental too so I gave it a lo-fi/ live feel. Check it out, download it if you like it (it's free so why not?). Keeping in mind what I was going for, leave any feedback you think could help me moving forward. This is the first of 4 songs I'm planning on producing for her.

Your timing is off, why not run a metronome and just see if you can first do a kick in 4/4, then maybe add, and some hats use that metronome though, and remember you have to craw before you walk. If you truly love what you're doing don't get discouraged, and practice, practice, practice, learn the basics first. Good Luck.

https://soundcloud.com/audioeclectic/just-that-way

Last edited:
Your timing is off, why not run a metronome and just see if you can first do a kick in 4/4, then maybe add, and some hats use that metronome though, and remember you have to craw before you walk. If you truly love what you're doing don't get discouraged, and practice, practice, practice, learn the basics first. Good Luck.

https://soundcloud.com/audioeclectic/just-that-way

Hey thanks for the feedback. I went back to listen to it and realized where I went wrong. It's not that I'm bad with timing, but during the mixing process I kept ducking the kicks and hats and messing with the attack and release knobs, and didn't notice that it was coming out untimely.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I'll definitely keep that in mind moving forward.

In no why was I knocking you or your process or material all I hope to do is share my experiences with you and help you grow as an artist .... keep up the good work man

In no why was I knocking you or your process or material all I hope to do is share my experiences with you and help you grow as an artist .... keep up the good work man
I didn't think you were knocking me at all. I actually appreciated it, I didn't notice that and you brought it to my attention, so I'm actually really grateful. I'm still in the trial and error stage, so I take all feedbacks into consideration, because my ear doesn't always catch everything. And that's what this community is for :)
Maybe I worded my reply wrong, but I'm actually glad you pointed it out, and I can definitely be more mindful of timing in the future.

Last edited:
You need to work on your pitch!! Lyrics are Fine, but you could be more melodic in your singing.. You come across very monotone!

Back