new pete-rock esque beat...ABSOLUTELY ALL FEEDBACK RETURNED

dkelloway

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7970930

on this one, i sampled a sound, filtered it out using the "notch" settings, added reverb, and played it out myself on the MPD... then I chopped up some breakbeat drums to give it the old school sound, then I ran them through the s950 to make them sound gritty. I then played the bassline out myself.

let me know what you think and don't forget to drop the links and i'll return the feedback...

Last edited:
The vocal sample was cool, but it didn't mesh at all with music. The instruments were off key with your beat and the tempo was off too. The actual beat is pretty good. There's something weird going on with the bass though. It sounds like you added a bassline, but it's out of tune or off key. It mirrors the sample so you might be better off the copying the sample pattern, filter off all the top end from the copy and run a crap load of bass boosts on it so that you have that a bassy sample but it's 100% in key/on tune.

Outside of that stuff, the beat is cool. I like how the drums have that filtered/scratchy kinda sound to them.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304767

yea listening on laptop speakers so can hear the low end but u definitely have something competing with the rythm. I think its the hi hat delay. I agree u can do something nice with this but you have to tighten it up.

To be honest, I like what this beat COULD BE. I feel like the composition and even the sounds are on point, but the PLACEMENT of stuff is just off. I can't really put my finger on it though, it just seems like you need to work on the alignment of the programing and make sure all the sampled notes are in key with each other and everything. Sometimes when ur sampling you really wanna use something but just can't because of the tempo or the notes just not matching. A lot of the time, this can be remedied by chopping things into smaller peices and playing with that. lol, I don't really know how to put it, but.... just fix everything that's 'off' and u got a nice beat. Anyway, hit me back when u get a chance. peace.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304863

Beat is pretty cool man. Lower the bass a bit like the above guy said. I like how it started it off. You did a good job of trying to get that old school sound, I definitely felt that throughout the song.

Heavy drums, tweak the quantizing in certain area's
and have more change ups in the arragement, it's too monotonous like this.....
other than that i think you got the whole old skool vibe going pretty well

Last edited:
Like most sort of monotonic oldschool beats, this would definetly need someone spitting on it to make it justice. Without the vocals it's too monotonic for my taste but then again a huge number of my favourite beats aren't nearly as banging as instrumentals. I liked the start a lot and the hi-hat is great. With a closed hi-hat this wouldn't be nearly as good, it's funny how something so small can make such a big difference. The main sample sounded quite a bit like something from DJ Premier from Gangstarr!

like space fruit said, i like what this beat could be.. When the main part kicks in I really like that, but honestly the N.Y. State of Mind sample doesn't mesh well with your beat.. it kinda throws everything off because the beat sounds too crowded and has too much going on..

Other than that im digging the main beat you got going on.. Just basically take the advice everyone else said and you'll have yourself a pretty hot beat..

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305004
Check it^

funky stuff man, its inspiring, makes you wanna cypher man. Thats what the musics supposed to do, and you did it well wit this one

What's good man..

just checking out tracks. I think a couple people are right. something is clashing with the drums. I first thought it was the hi hats with delay are over lapping the open hi hat from the sample. That's my best guess. but I like the vibe. which is really that old school sound. keep it up man you defiantly getting your sound down.

The sonics of this beat are f*cking amazing but the swing of the drums could be tighter. Just go thru make sure everything is hitting in the right time.

yo i cant stop listening to this would you give away that sample?

Back