What is your opinion on this buildup? EDM/PROGRESSIVE

tomhold

Hi, I ve been working on this track for the last week and I want to make it perfect as I can.
I think that mix down is solid in general, but the buildup doesn't convince me.

Could you give me your opinion and probably some tips to improve it, or you can share your thoughts if you like. Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/the-madsoul/waterfall-v2/s-JOsXy

Last edited:
Its got a good concept there, sounds like its distorted... I would give it some room to breathe, ease up on the limiter a bit.... There is quite a lot of reverb on the kick too.... get a reference track when u master, so u can make a judgement to the levels of each frequency range :)

What do you mean distorted? Clipping??

Nah not 'clipping', clipping is nasty shit... The distortion comes from either over compressing, or excessive limiting... There is a problem using 'auto master chains'.... You want your compression to be subtle... I usually start with a linear phase EQ, not for boosting, for reductive purposes, Then I set a linear phase multi band compressor... this helps to balance out the spectrum.. You if its not a good one, use it sparingly, as in, pull the threshold down so it just hits the top of the peaks and solo them to find the frequency band that needs attention... Boots frequencies in the multi band limiter, though not too much, You can then use a standard mastering compressor after that, again, sparingly, you dont want it compressing 'all the time', only for peaks and it doesn't want to be attenuating much more than a few db's... at the end, you have your mastering limiter.. this should only really be attenuating the peaks that your other compressors have let through, pull the threshold down so it is only attenuating at about 3 db but not all the time, you want to allow the mix to breathe... if you pull that thing down too much, it will introduce whats known as 'distortion'...

It won't clip, but it will crush the sound and make it sound muddy....

Its all learning your DAW... Send me the mix off the bounce.. with no mastering plug ins... make sure it is well balanced and nothing is going into the red.. I will try master it for you :)

Back