What do you think of my first track?

Fryingmantis

Hey guys, I'm brand new to ableton, and production in general. I have been exploring around trying to learn ableton, and as a result of my experimentation, this first track came about. Any feedback on what you think of it, what I could do to improve it, what to add to it, what to take from it, etc would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to these boards, but I'm very inspired and curious to hear everyones stuff and give my opinion. Let me know what you think of this, and I'll gladly check out what you have going on ;). I'm very happy with the way this came about, as I didn't even think I had the production skills in me to create something like this. I used no loops. I'm not trying to hype up my track, in fact its a bit weird and probably not for everyone. But none the less, it made me happy, and gave me the confidence needed to further explore ableton and produce more stuff.

I'm more into the weird side of electronic music. Like flying lotus, russ liquid, thrift works, gaslamp killer, etc. I hope these vibrations I've put out can bring half as much joy and inspiration to someone out there as they did to me.
This track is still in the works, and thats why any feedback would be amazing!
https://soundcloud.com/learning-experimenting/trancedelic

Last edited:
Hi Fryingmantis,

It is not really my kind of music but its pretty creative I think! Some points that I would add/change to make it more interesting;
- Add some reverbs to the highs (crashes, hats etc)
- Add some vibe creating ambients such as strings, that way you can make the vibe change over time and fill up a bit on the mids

Other than that, interesting type of music,

Good luck!

Like Hayway said, this beat is very creative. Still needs some work (like maybe some more instruments and melodies), but don't worry about this one track, like you said, you're learning and experimenting. Your style is different but still in it's early developing stage. Keep working on your craft, and soon enough you'll have a unique style that will capture ppl's attention. Never stop working on mastering your craft cuzzin!

Hello,

At first, thanks for the comment on my track, i really aprecciate good comments, i'm still learning so every single piece of advice is needed. Now with your track, i think it's a creative track, that i can't say otherwise, the beat its very creative and impressive, but i think you should add some movement to the track besides the beat. Like you said, you still learning too and I think you going great, so keep up the good work mate!

that wobbly bass sound starting at 38 seconds sounds a bit corny to my taste, but i think that percussive pluck sound melody starting around 1 minute is dope tho !

Strangely captivating. At first I was like what on earth is this? But I just couldn't stop listening for some reason!

lol i would get high on this kind of music XD
but srsly i dont understand it what was your vision with this song btw 1:16 was funny

Not really my type of tune but still interesting.
I'd say EQing, mixing and premastering should help your track to look less like a patchwork.
But you're not starting from scratch as I can ear so you'll be fine! Keep it up.
Thanks for sharing!

I appreciate everyones feedback! means a lot.
I agree, part of me feels like taking out the wobbly base sound. To me, that effects works decent with headphones, or maybe surround sound, but on regular speakers i feel it can distract one from the song.

Hahaha, thanks Luna, I think thats what I was kinda going for with this. It was cool to hear someone say that.
I been offline and off of ableton for a couple weeks, but I'm gonna start working on some more stuff, and try to see what I can do to polish this track up using the advice given. I'll post back with updates. I appreciate the support everyone..

Back