Trash it or keep going? Prog

mr shug

Been messing with this for a couple of days. The intro is generic as of now. Keep building and automating or move on? How does it sound on your speakers?

I think you may need to add another sound in there, perhaps a melody that would really carry the intro and the rest of the song. In terms of the atmosphere, it really reminds me of a video game soundtrack. It's not trash, but its also not something I would listen to unless its in the background of something I am playing. I did like the congas you used, they should have more activity in the track.

start on something new and see what you get!

If you have the time please check out my track , thank you.
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...e-house-dance/beach-vibe-531434/#post50030645

Main thing is to not expect immediate feedback, this is contributing to people not wanting to complete anything before eventually sharing.

mr shug, this sounds damn good for being made/mixed on some phones & a truck stereo. Slick groove - sounds great on my speakers & cans but there are a couple things I noticed from a mix perspective:

It might just be me, but it seems like the kick is a little bit muddy - sounds like it's not high pass filtered at all; cutting out some of the really low bass might help to tighten it up a bit. I also think the kick could do with a bit more compression - the transient could stand to punch through some more, though it's almost perfect otherwise. The delayed voice FX that comes in @ 1:20 is a little bit loud for the mix for just a split second (around 1:20-1:21) imo. Also, in the pad in the beginning (the one that goes from a G to an F to a C to a B), I think you have a resonant frequency that produces a bit of an uneasy ringing sound; it's more obvious when notes are blending into one another (like the G blending into the F) - or maybe the tone of those two notes interfere with one another too much??

I say keep it going! Loving the attitude of this

Main thing is to not expect immediate feedback, this is contributing to people not wanting to complete anything before eventually sharing.

I can't disagree more - asking people for their advice early on is totally fine. Better than not releasing anything at all!

Now that is some good feedback! Man the kick has the low end cut way down and it's still a little muddy to my ear. I have a hard time finding the punch without the mud. Do you mean just compression on the master or on the kick itself? Agree on the pad and voice. I like the idea and sound of the voice but haven't spent much time mixing it. Does the baseline in the intro with the first cutoff automation get a bit muddy? Highly appreciate the detailed feed!

Interesting. The kick sounds "laid-back" all the way through, which to my ears sounds nice and gives the track a very atmospheric feel. This might present some issues if you want to progress harder with the track though because it might start to "disappear" if you start introducing more rhytmic elements & pads. So depending on where you want this track to go, maybe like some others have already said: try to give the kick drum more definition, more of a snap maybe? The bass sounds nice and clear on my computer speakers (Logitech Z2300 with the bass knob dialed to 50%), at least from 32 seconds and onwards. Good luck mighty padawan!

Thanks exploder. Def needs some more progression and such. I have some HR 824s from my old set up that I need to get hooked up and hopefully that will help my kick mixing issues.

Yeah and you definitely need to complete it... I really want to hear the finished product. You've got a great intro, would be a shame to let it go to waste :)

Absolutely keep going with this, the elements are strong and present. I think it could use a bit more layering to make the notes sound fuller.

Now that is some good feedback! Man the kick has the low end cut way down and it's still a little muddy to my ear. I have a hard time finding the punch without the mud. Do you mean just compression on the master or on the kick itself? Agree on the pad and voice. I like the idea and sound of the voice but haven't spent much time mixing it. Does the baseline in the intro with the first cutoff automation get a bit muddy? Highly appreciate the detailed feed!

No prob - I think some more compression on the kick itself to enhance the transient would be good (especially in the more intense parts). Or maybe even add a "click" sound to the kick to give it a little bit more punch - I'm coming out of left field here but there's a YouTube vid by Dave Pensado re. adding a soccer ball sound to enhance a kick's attack. Might help!

The bassline cutoff automation in the beginning sounds pretty good to me tho! But yeah man, stick with this one imo - digging the groove

Yea I thought about layering a weak kick with a click to it. I imagine a soccer ball bounce or slap would actually sound good!

I think some more compression on the kick itself to enhance the transient would be good (especially in the more intense parts). Or maybe even add a "click" sound to the kick to give it a little bit more punch - I'm coming out of left field here but there's a YouTube vid by Dave Pensado re. adding a soccer ball sound to enhance a kick's attack. Might help!

This is great advice, another thing you could do is add a transient designer on the kick, BitterSweet by Flux is a free transient designing plugin, it will help you shape the kick allowing it to become sharp and cut through the mix, just make sure its reaction time is quick as you're trying to catch the high end. Another thing is to add a compressor with medium attack and fast release, and a threshold of your liking, and a ratio anywhere in between 2:1 to 3:1, it will make the kick fuller and still allow the dynamics to come through before compressing it fully.

Last edited:
This is great advice, another thing you could do is add a transient designer on the kick, BitterSweet by Flux is a free transient designing plugin, it will help you shape the kick allowing it to become sharp and cut through the mix, just make sure its reaction time is quick as you're trying to catch the high end. Another thing is to add a compressor with medium attack and fast release, and a threshold of your liking, and a ratio anywhere in between 2:1 to 3:1, it will make the kick fuller and still allow the dynamics to come through before compressing it fully.
I think the main issue is that the kick itself doesn't have hardly any high end in it. Its pretty low and subby. I have it eq'd way down and it's still a bit muddy. I can tweak and resolve it I'm sure. Trying to build the song out now. This is where I get bogged down! Feel free to use those midi skills to give me some ideas for it!

cool sounds, like a car simulation game ost. keep going, imagine yourself going through tunnels such as this:

I would definitely make the overall mix louder, add some form of compression, experiment with reverb for a larger space expression. You can also add some synths with the low pass filter frequency being modulated, or other effects you like. So far so good man, keep going.

cool sounds, like a car simulation game ost. keep going, imagine yourself going through tunnels such as this:

I would definitely make the overall mix louder, add some form of compression, experiment with reverb for a larger space expression. You can also add some synths with the low pass filter frequency being modulated, or other effects you like. So far so good man, keep going.
Thanks man. Yea I have everything kind of low as of now to leave room to add more. Once I get it how I want it I'll compress and get the level right. I need some higher freq with reverb as you suggest but am having a hard time finding something I like!

Back