Stuck disco-ish song. Open for any feedback.

rolist

sweet by rodolen | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Id be happy to receive some words about the production of this song.

Ive been EQing the tracks individually, but it ends up getting “trashy” - although I am going for result a in lo-fi-land, but still clean.
I dont know what approach I should try instead of tickling every EQ. Is it just too many tracks arguing with each other or could bad audio-files as original input be the problem?

Also I have been struggling so much with the vocals:
The de-esser either takes out too much (getting a lisp-sound), or the s-sound takes over the whole mix. It seems like it is coming mostly from the vocals reverb-bus. Is there a way to make it calm the S-frequencies down, and still make it shimmer nicely?

Ive seen dozens of tutorials on youtube (and I will watch more!), but I would really appreciate if someone manages to pinpoint exactly what I could do to improve.

If you want to, I will return feedback as best as I can.
Im so sick of this song now lol. Im going to take a break now and then go pray someone wise will answer this post.

Hey. Sorry the mixing is giving you trouble. I know the feel. Very hard to address how you mix without hearing a reference track for what you are going for. I would recommend SPAN analyzer. Its free and you can use it to see how your songs EQ spectrum looks compared to a reference tracks. It might help you pinpoint what problems may be present in your mix. With the Ess sounds, what DeEsser are you using? I personally take care of Ess sounds using Maximus in fruity loops (just a multiband compresser). I create a band surrounding the problem frequencies and adjust the threshold so that it will only lower the volume during problem moments and make the ratio very large for strong compression. I like doing it manually like that, I think it gives me more control. It could also just be the quality of the recording. Good luck on your mix.

Hey. Sorry the mixing is giving you trouble. I know the feel. Very hard to address how you mix without hearing a reference track for what you are going for. I would recommend SPAN analyzer. Its free and you can use it to see how your songs EQ spectrum looks compared to a reference tracks. It might help you pinpoint what problems may be present in your mix. With the Ess sounds, what DeEsser are you using? I personally take care of Ess sounds using Maximus in fruity loops (just a multiband compresser). I create a band surrounding the problem frequencies and adjust the threshold so that it will only lower the volume during problem moments and make the ratio very large for strong compression. I like doing it manually like that, I think it gives me more control. It could also just be the quality of the recording. Good luck on your mix.

Ill check Span asap.
I was using Logics stock de-esser, but after trying FabFilter DS it is finally starting to make sense. I'll also try playing around with a plain multiband-compressor.

Thank you for good advice, and for answering!

Back