Rookie trying to make funky glitch - am I on the right track?

Trip Lykely

Really would appreciate any feedback on this. Not really happy with my drums, any pointers or tips?

I know the mix/master isn't very good (Senheiser headphones and a laptop) but it would be great to know if I'm on the right track.

**My drums are garbage, anyone have tips/tutorials?

Last edited:
It's not bad. I think the compression is hitting the kick a bit too hard. Overall i think its solid for a beat like this, i like that guitar sample it is indeed funky.

The kick sounds like it has two punches (one thump, the other sounds more like a super short 808, both are noticeably distant from one another.) Guitar sample is funky, but I'm irked by the bass. At times it doesn't seem to fit the rhythm quite right. Quite glitchy, I like the reversed drums. I think you're well on your way to producing glitch styled music. Also, don't worry if your mastering is bad, I'm not too good at mastering myself.

It's not bad. I think the compression is hitting the kick a bit too hard. Overall i think its solid for a beat like this, i like that guitar sample it is indeed funky.

Thanks for the feedback. The drums really kind of bug me and I was thinking about just starting from scratch on the kicks and snares. I'll play with the compression and tone it down. Maybe pitch my snares up a bit to help distinguish them from the kicks and better fill the mix?

I dig that vibe you've got going in your track. It actually gave me an idea I want to play around with on this sample I've got.

The kick sounds like it has two punches (one thump, the other sounds more like a super short 808, both are noticeably distant from one another.) Guitar sample is funky, but I'm irked by the bass. At times it doesn't seem to fit the rhythm quite right. Quite glitchy, I like the reversed drums. I think you're well on your way to producing glitch styled music. Also, don't worry if your mastering is bad, I'm not too good at mastering myself.

Thanks, the drums and the mix are my personal biggest issues with the track and its good to hear that confirmed. From what I'm getting back I need to re-look at my compression settings and maybe pitch up my snares, re-EQ to better fill the spectrum. Aside from working on the mix/master (which will never be great because I don't have the equipment) the drums and bass are my focus because I need/want them to play a better role complimenting the guitar.

If you've got a track I'm happy to check it out. My feedback will be more from a listeners perspective but I'm happy to give it.

Last edited:
You're on your way bro, i like it. The intro feels really empty - im not sure if that is normal for this genre, but i would maybe fill up the intro with some ambient noise or something. And yeah, something is off about that kick at the beginning - Two kicks overlapping?

Back