[Progressive House] Kyrpto - Northern Lights

It depends on how you want the melody to behave. Some general guidelines would be to utilize your compressors. I will sometimes compress the bass line in order to get it's volume to hang around a certain decibel level before I side-chain the bass to the kick. That gets rid of some masking that might be happening between your kick and bass synth. Also saturation can help your melodic synths to sound more full and rich. You can even use some light saturation on your drums, particularly the snare.

Escape Velocity (Original) by ToothandnaiL | Toothandnai L | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I really like this song, many sounds used I think are really cool and there is a nice contrast between some bright sounds and some less bright sounds.

One way to clean up your mix is to put a EQ on the master and low cut everything below 30Hz, this will get rid of irrelevant frequencies and will actually allow you to master it louder as well, your bass will sound different
but it will sound tighter.
If you have done this already, that's a great start.

I think I would put all the melody synths and route them to a bus and then give them a nice subtle glue compression to make the sounds stick together more.

Use some saturation/subtle distortion on your bassline to get some grittiness out of it, it will definitely give the song a bit more fullness and result in a better mix.

You can also throw some saturation on some of your main sounds to achieve a better mix.

Also make sure everything is sidechained to your kickdrum, the sidechain doesn't have to be very noticeable on all sounds, but you want a little bit sidechaining on everything to make the kick stand out.

Add some harmonic exciters to your main sounds.

Hope any of this gives you some value.

If you'd like me to work on the mix a little bit, you can send me the stems and I'll make an attempt at improving it a little bit.

Hmm, listened to your song and listened to it again: mixing wise I don't know what to improve. The leads shine through the mix and are well adjusted.
Perhaps the melodies can get more lively if the velocity in the notes would vary, but in the end it's not really missing.
Great track!

Wow a lot of good advice here! I'm going to experiment more with automation so the song doesn't sound so robotic.

Thanks!

man, you got a pretty neat track already, with my current skill - i dont know what you can improve anymore lol.
it sounds pretty crisp and you had a good balanced panning works already. i think just keep making new stuff as for my ears, it is great already.

Back