[Progressive House] Champions - Astronaut (Hayway Remix)

Hayway

Goodday,

I've been producing for about a year now with on and off periods, whenever I can find/make time, I try to be productive. Anyways, this is the second track that I've finished. It is finally finished.

Check it out, thumbs up if you like it. And respond by putting your own track so I can check your track out too!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Hayway,

I agree with JMolter, this is really impressive for your second production, when I started out years ago I just produced Trance (well, attempted to produce Trance), I always had a broad taste for different genres of electronic music so when I tried to make the step from Trance into House based productions I really struggled, plus I had developed some really bad habits that I have only recently managed to quit.

It's actually really difficult to pick anything bad about Astronaut, I don't mean that I'm trying to be negative but for me to offer constructive feedback.

You and others may disagree on my following points but this is just what I picked up on:

- The volume (dynamics of the track)
To me, there seems to be a constant volume level throughout the whole track, this is particularly noticeable at the second chorus/drop, the drop should have more impact, try to consider ways of reducing some of the volume level during the bridges to make the chorus/drop a little louder which would naturally leave room for the drop impact and maybe even consider a 1 or 2 bar silence before the drop, it's a split second break that allows the big hit to happen.

The are many ways to do this, you can simply automate your channel volumes to bring them down a touch during the bridge and back up in the chorus, or depending on how you have layered your instruments you can remove a layer or two, or drop the volume on a couple without really losing the feel of your track.

-Sidechaining
You may have sidechained some elements of your track, I don't know, but when listening I didn't really pick up on it, to me the kick drum didn't have much room to breathe, I must add that it didn't sound bad, and I'm really just digging deeper into things for you to consider for future tracks or even this one if you wish to edit it.

There are so many things you can do with producing, the list is endless, they are just two tips that I would like to offer to you, you or others may disagree with me, I just want to help out because you clearly have a talent and good ear for music so there is no reason for you to not be successful :)

Astronaut is really good, and I look forward to hearing your response :)

Take it easy dude!

If you wish to check out my latest track "Big" here it is:

I agree with JMolter, this is really impressive for your second production, when I started out years ago I just produced Trance (well, attempted to produce Trance), I always had a broad taste for different genres of electronic music so when I tried to make the step from Trance into House based productions I really struggled, plus I had developed some really bad habits that I have only recently managed to quit.

It's actually really difficult to pick anything bad about Astronaut, I don't mean that I'm trying to be negative but for me to offer constructive feedback.

You and others may disagree on my following points but this is just what I picked up on:

- The volume (dynamics of the track)
To me, there seems to be a constant volume level throughout the whole track, this is particularly noticeable at the second chorus/drop, the drop should have more impact, try to consider ways of reducing some of the volume level during the bridges to make the chorus/drop a little louder which would naturally leave room for the drop impact and maybe even consider a 1 or 2 bar silence before the drop, it's a split second break that allows the big hit to happen.

The are many ways to do this, you can simply automate your channel volumes to bring them down a touch during the bridge and back up in the chorus, or depending on how you have layered your instruments you can remove a layer or two, or drop the volume on a couple without really losing the feel of your track.

-Sidechaining
You may have sidechained some elements of your track, I don't know, but when listening I didn't really pick up on it, to me the kick drum didn't have much room to breathe, I must add that it didn't sound bad, and I'm really just digging deeper into things for you to consider for future tracks or even this one if you wish to edit it.

There are so many things you can do with producing, the list is endless, they are just two tips that I would like to offer to you, you or others may disagree with me, I just want to help out because you clearly have a talent and good ear for music so there is no reason for you to not be successful :)

Astronaut is really good, and I look forward to hearing your response :)

Take it easy dude!

If you wish to check out my latest track "Big" here it is:

Paul thanks a lot for those two points of attention. After listening to your track I know exactly what you mean with the breaks and their volumes. I could reduce them in volume automatically causing the second drop to feel bigger! I am surely taking this consideration to my next track.
Yes I used sidechaining, but just enough to get rid of clashes in certain frequencies, I didn't like this track to be too pumpy, I wanted to create a more constant flow to it.

Very kind words Paul, and most importantly constructive feedback! Thanks a lot for that.

After listening to your track, I decided to follow you on SoundCloud. I really envy the way that you can keep the track interesting for the brain. Very strong buildups, no part in the track appears to be the same, very nice.
I only could think of one remark, but thats just taste. The offbeat acidbass in the drop, I would make it harsher, an extra layer of mid-high frequencies, or widen the top a little bit in the stereo image, then again, this is just taste!

Thanks a lot again, I will be checking out your SoundCloud ;)

Paul thanks a lot for those two points of attention. After listening to your track I know exactly what you mean with the breaks and their volumes. I could reduce them in volume automatically causing the second drop to feel bigger! I am surely taking this consideration to my next track.
Yes I used sidechaining, but just enough to get rid of clashes in certain frequencies, I didn't like this track to be too pumpy, I wanted to create a more constant flow to it.

Very kind words Paul, and most importantly constructive feedback! Thanks a lot for that.

After listening to your track, I decided to follow you on SoundCloud. I really envy the way that you can keep the track interesting for the brain. Very strong buildups, no part in the track appears to be the same, very nice.
I only could think of one remark, but thats just taste. The offbeat acidbass in the drop, I would make it harsher, an extra layer of mid-high frequencies, or widen the top a little bit in the stereo image, then again, this is just taste!

Thanks a lot again, I will be checking out your SoundCloud ;)

You're welcome :) I agree, sometimes you don't want to create too much pumping because it can overpower the emotion/feeling you are trying to give to your music.

Thank you for listening to Big. I do a lot of EDM Promo work with my own brand Ample and in partnership with EDM Ranks and Unicus Rec so I was sending the track to them for feedback and it took quite a few edits to finally get it sounding the way it did, in particular losing the repetitive feel it had when I had first constructed it.

I completely agree with your comments on the bass, the main offbeat bass is actually two layers both layers are the same instrument, one is mixed at a lower bass frequency and the other is perked up a little more on the mid freqs with additional reverb I did use a stereo widener on it originally but then removed it as I wasn't too thrilled with the 'Electro' feel it started to get. I will play around with this as I'm considering doing an edit/extended remix so maybe I could combine the two efforts into one extended remix maybe?

Feedback is great, there is no such thing as negative feedback when it is constructive and likewise with positive feedback. We're all here for our love of music so we should support each other and feel proud of those who progress, whether that is just making great music, or making great music and being successful too!

Last edited:
You're welcome :) I agree, sometimes you don't want to create too much pumping because it can overpower the emotion/feeling you are trying to give to your music.

Thank you for listening to Big. I do a lot of EDM Promo work with my own brand Ample and in partnership with EDM Ranks and Unicus Rec so I was sending the track to them for feedback and it took quite a few edits to finally get it sounding the way it did, in particular losing the repetitive feel it had when I had first constructed it.

I completely agree with your comments on the bass, the main offbeat bass is actually two layers both layers are the same instrument, one is mixed at a lower bass frequency and the other is perked up a little more on the mid freqs with additional reverb I did use a stereo widener on it originally but then removed it as I wasn't too thrilled with the 'Electro' feel it started to get. I will play around with this as I'm considering doing an edit/extended remix so maybe I could combine the two efforts into one extended remix maybe?

Feedback is great, there is no such thing as negative feedback when it is constructive and likewise with positive feedback. We're all here for our love of music so we should support each other and feel proud of those who progress, whether that is just making great music, or making great music and being successful too!

Oh that is really nice, so you are actually also working for a label?
So you can get feedback fairly quick, good to know that your track also went through a lot of changes over time, I always find it very cool to listen to older versions of the track and the finalized one, you really know how to give constructive feedback. Is it ok for you if I'd send you a snippet once in a while for some feedback? Won't be that often I promise ;)

Great track man. Piano sounds great, big and powerful. The strings also sound great. Unfortunately I’m not a massive fan of the singer but everything else is decent. I really like the ‘2-step’ kind of feel you drop into at 2:00. You have a lot of little breaks, which keeps the track moving. Good job. Really liking your track 'Mess-up' too, much darker track with a filthy bass line.

Great track man. Piano sounds great, big and powerful. The strings also sound great. Unfortunately I’m not a massive fan of the singer but everything else is decent. I really like the ‘2-step’ kind of feel you drop into at 2:00. You have a lot of little breaks, which keeps the track moving. Good job. Really liking your track 'Mess-up' too, much darker track with a filthy bass line.

Slunk! Thanks for your message. Very cool that you are following me (just saw it in my mailbox) I will follow you back and surely listen to your tracks, probably tommorrow with a decent audio system instead of my laptop speaker.

Messup is hopefully going to be really awesome, it's work in progress, the idea came really fast though, tommorrow is my day off work so i'll continue to work on it then again!

Thanks guys!

Yeah feel free to check them out! Bit different to the stuff I am working on now, I've been tasked to make a 4-track house EP, so we'll see how that goes!

Cool man, make sure you post it on here when you are finished!

I've worked with a few people before, some friends, some people that I have paid. On the house EP I'm not too sure at the moment, I've been using a lot of vocal samples but will probably get a professional singer for 1-2 of the tracks.

Back