Paris Blohm & Taylr Renee - Left Behinds (CMWB Remix)

Chris Samuel

Hey!

I hope you enjoy this remix I made of the track 'Left Behinds' by Paris Blohm. I would love some feedback, any feedback is good feedback!

I'm having some problem with the quality on soundcloud, so for best quality either download it or go to my youtube channel! :)

Youtube: youtube.com/watch?v=ZjHM2IpdRfE

Hey Chris!

You did an awesome job with this remix and certainly did the original justice in my opinion! I liked how you laid the vocals against the beat timing wise, it sounded different than the original and very fresh, and still worked wonderfully!

Your mix in general in my opinion sounds very clean and impactful, good work! I am not sure if this is mastered or not, but if it is, you may be able to get the loudness significantly higher by leaving some headroom (I do -6db) after your mixdown, and then boosting it back up with your mastering process. This should help get you much closer to "commercial loudness" for this type of style of music if you haven't already been doing this.

I am really digging your arrangement, it was hard for me to come up with any critique here! One thing you may want to consider, cut the bass of the leads/bassline/drums/everything leading up to the first breakdown at around :30, and then release it on the breakdown, and see if you like how that sounds :)

I agree with Helder777 above on the reverb. To solve this problem with my own mixes, I will sometimes create an audio channel, set its input to the original synth channel, add reverb in the new channel, sidechain it to the original synth channel, and turn the reverb off in the original one, so that only the sidechained audio channel is producing the reverb. I would try this out, you may get very interesting results if you have never tried this before, as this also acts as a way to beef up layers in general while still sounding natural and balanced.

Finally, adding groove to each of your layers will give your track a much more "dancey" feel. If you are already doing this, try to make it a bit more pronounced, it will give the song a more natural touch.

Keep it up, I really enjoyed this!

If you could, would love to hear your feedback on my new song :) https://www.futureproducers.com/for...oducer-night-here-my-second-full-song-511626/

Last edited:
Hey!

Thank you so much! I'm still working on the mastering of this track, haven't done that very much so i'm still learning, mastering is hard haha! :)

I will definetly try cut the bass and see how that sounds!

How do I do that with the reverb? It sounds really interesting, I really want to try it out!

Thank you for taking your time, really appreciate the feedback!

Liked your track, nice kick you've got there. I would suggest to add some more sounds in the first drop, it sounds like something is missing, maybe a percussion or a lead. When you get the hi-hats and claps in the mix it sounds really nice, diggin' it! Second drop lead is awsome, rave n' roll!

Let me know when you're done with your next track, like your style!

Hey!

Thank you so much! I'm still working on the mastering of this track, haven't done that very much so i'm still learning, mastering is hard haha! :)

I will definetly try cut the bass and see how that sounds!

How do I do that with the reverb? It sounds really interesting, I really want to try it out!

Thank you for taking your time, really appreciate the feedback!

Liked your track, nice kick you've got there. I would suggest to add some more sounds in the first drop, it sounds like something is missing, maybe a percussion or a lead. When you get the hi-hats and claps in the mix it sounds really nice, diggin' it! Second drop lead is awsome, rave n' roll!

Let me know when you're done with your next track, like your style!

Hey Chris!

You are essentially just adding in a new audio track, setting the input of that track to the track or bus containing the non-reverbed original, and then adding your reverb into the audio track chain. You should also add a sidechain on the new audio track and link to the non reverbed original so that the reverb doesn't get too muddy. If you still have Q's, please feel free to hit me up on Skype @robodropofficial and I can try to help.

Thanks so much for your feedback and kind words on my track man, really appreciate it!

Hey man! Love your remix, really good job on the mix! However there are few things you should look at like the others mentioned.

Here you can listen to the changes I made below, in a mastered form:

I think you should look at your intro fills and the transient of the floornote on the first bar of the track (0:00).

I think and strongly advise/recommend you should also look at the arrangement on the claps on bars 8-16 on the first drop (2:00) and move the claps to the 2nd and 4th beat on the bar, same for the second drop (so its sounds like: boom clap boom clap, looped obviously) I'm not sure how you have the claps arranged here (I think on every beat, no?) I would also turn the volume up on the clap by about +1dB

I added another similar sounding clap and layered it over top of where the claps are/should be in this arrangement. As well as added some closed hi-hats and 1 shaker. They are mixed at low volume, but judging how nice this mixdown is, I'm sure you'll be able to add your own and mix it to sound similar if not better. Again I really love your work here, superb work! :D
I attached an image below to show how I arranged the percussion for easy reference: Left Behinds CMWB remix arrangement.png

I also mastered your great mixdown so I will break down what I did in-order according to the plugin-in chain :D

I brickwalled everything below 33hz because anything below this frequency in your mixdown is muddy sub that isn't needed in your mix as for example 45hz is really low and will boom through club subs or what have you, so you don't need these low freqs (basically below 30hz) as they're generally low rumble, this goes for pretty much all mixdowns in EDM, Some will argue these frequencies can be felt, but 39hz for example is going to be felt even more by people in the audience, so if you cut these muddy frequencies out you can leave headroom for limiting/compression/what have you, and you will have a louder master in the end.

• OK for EQing it was pretty basic just a lot of subtractive bell nodes in the 200-500hz region to clean up resonating freqs and make it sound more rich. Also there is a roll-off in the top end as well, slightly rolling off the frequencies from 16-20khz as most (key word here, most; that's why we roll it off not brickwall)-- people cannot hear anything in this range. (dogs can, but dogs don't club or go to festivals :p) Here's the EQing:
Left Behinds CMWB EQing Reference.png

• I inserted a bright, lush, and clean-modulated reverb with a 1.1 second decay time and a low cut at 260hz and dry/wet of 7.2% wet

• I added some tube-dist multiband harmonic excitement warming up the low end and crisping up the top end as well as a bit in the low mids and mids to help glue

• I then added a multi-band compressor/dynamics tightening the low band (120hz and below) and boosting the mid band quite a bit to brighten up the synths and vocals, and finally slightly boosting the top end to give it a touch of spark.

• I did a little bit more EQing to finalize of the equalizing this mixdown needs.Left Behinds CMWB Final EQ curve.png

• Second to last I did some multi-band stereo imaging, sending the lows (120hz and below) to mono, centering the low mids a bit, centered the mids a tad, and left the highs alone.

• Finally I added a limiter to maximize the tracks volume, and then layered a sausage fattener on top of that with the fatness set to 8%.

I found it hard to critique the actual musical aspect of your mix as it's very solid and the arrangement is natural. Hope this helps!

PS: I would be more than happy to finalize your master again once you're completely happy with your mixdown, just PM me
:D

Cheers!

Hey man! Love your remix, really good job on the mix! However there are few things you should look at like the others mentioned.

Here you can listen to the changes I made below, in a mastered form:

I think you should look at your intro fills and the transient of the floornote on the first bar of the track (0:00).

I think and strongly advise/recommend you should also look at the arrangement on the claps on bars 8-16 on the first drop (2:00) and move the claps to the 2nd and 4th beat on the bar, same for the second drop (so its sounds like: boom clap boom clap, looped obviously) I'm not sure how you have the claps arranged here (I think on every beat, no?) I would also turn the volume up on the clap by about +1dB

I added another similar sounding clap and layered it over top of where the claps are/should be in this arrangement. As well as added some closed hi-hats and 1 shaker. They are mixed at low volume, but judging how nice this mixdown is, I'm sure you'll be able to add your own and mix it to sound similar if not better. Again I really love your work here, superb work! :D
I attached an image below to show how I arranged the percussion for easy reference: View attachment 44444

I also mastered your great mixdown so I will break down what I did in-order according to the plugin-in chain :D

I brickwalled everything below 33hz because anything below this frequency in your mixdown is muddy sub that isn't needed in your mix as for example 45hz is really low and will boom through club subs or what have you, so you don't need these low freqs (basically below 30hz) as they're generally low rumble, this goes for pretty much all mixdowns in EDM, Some will argue these frequencies can be felt, but 39hz for example is going to be felt even more by people in the audience, so if you cut these muddy frequencies out you can leave headroom for limiting/compression/what have you, and you will have a louder master in the end.

• OK for EQing it was pretty basic just a lot of subtractive bell nodes in the 200-500hz region to clean up resonating freqs and make it sound more rich. Also there is a roll-off in the top end as well, slightly rolling off the frequencies from 16-20khz as most (key word here, most; that's why we roll it off not brickwall)-- people cannot hear anything in this range. (dogs can, but dogs don't club or go to festivals :p) Here's the EQing:
View attachment 44445

• I inserted a bright, lush, and clean-modulated reverb with a 1.1 second decay time and a low cut at 260hz and dry/wet of 7.2% wet

• I added some tube-dist multiband harmonic excitement warming up the low end and crisping up the top end as well as a bit in the low mids and mids to help glue

• I then added a multi-band compressor/dynamics tightening the low band (120hz and below) and boosting the mid band quite a bit to brighten up the synths and vocals, and finally slightly boosting the top end to give it a touch of spark.

• I did a little bit more EQing to finalize of the equalizing this mixdown needs.View attachment 44447

• Second to last I did some multi-band stereo imaging, sending the lows (120hz and below) to mono, centering the low mids a bit, centered the mids a tad, and left the highs alone.

• Finally I added a limiter to maximize the tracks volume, and then layered a sausage fattener on top of that with the fatness set to 8%.

I found it hard to critique the actual musical aspect of your mix as it's very solid and the arrangement is natural. Hope this helps!

PS: I would be more than happy to finalize your master again once you're completely happy with your mixdown, just PM me
:D

Cheers!

Dude I love it! It is so much more heavier and clean! Awesome work!

I will definitely consider to rearrange the clap to every 2nd beat, right they are on every beat now :) I'm still working on this track, trying out things and different sounds.

I am so glad you took your time mastering my track, it means a lot! I will definitely try the things that you have shown here :)

I will contact you when I'm done with this track ;) Thank you so much again for taking your time and giving me feedback on my track!

Dude I love it! It is so much more heavier and clean! Awesome work!

I will definitely consider to rearrange the clap to every 2nd beat, right they are on every beat now :) I'm still working on this track, trying out things and different sounds.

I am so glad you took your time mastering my track, it means a lot! I will definitely try the things that you have shown here :)

I will contact you when I'm done with this track ;) Thank you so much again for taking your time and giving me feedback on my track!

Thanks man, and it's no problem it was my pleasure to master the track!

Cool cool, excited and looking forward to hearing, and mastering the final mix!

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey Chris!

You are essentially just adding in a new audio track, setting the input of that track to the track or bus containing the non-reverbed original, and then adding your reverb into the audio track chain. You should also add a sidechain on the new audio track and link to the non reverbed original so that the reverb doesn't get too muddy. If you still have Q's, please feel free to hit me up on Skype @robodropofficial and I can try to help.

Thanks so much for your feedback and kind words on my track man, really appreciate it!

Do you work in Logic or Fl studio? :)

Back