(New Dance Track)Heartless ? 2018 Feedback Needed

Nice stereo image, very wide and great use of space. I think the drums need to punch through a lot more, I'd look into parallel compression to have them really drive the groove. Nice melodic choices, solid evolution as the track progress and the arrangement works well. You could probably bring the sub up too. Between the drums and the sub you could really get heads nodding and make it hard to sit still

Things I think you did well:
- The music writing sounds nice. Melodies are nice and pleasing and nothing off key or unpleasing to the ears.
- Good arrangement. The song has a natural flow to it and nothing felt out of place.

Things I think could be improved:
- Sound design or preset choice. Things like the pluck around 2:15 sounds very generic and doesn't sit well in the mix. You could change the velocity of each note to create more movement. You could also add reverb to make it sound less dry and boring. It sounds like a lot of the sounds were presets from nexus or something, which isn't necessarily bad, I use nexus as well. But I think tweaking little things will make the sounds less generic. I'm not sure for how long you have been producing but if you're still within your 1st or 2nd year then just keep experimenting and you will learn and get better at choosing and tweaking sounds.
- Mixing was okay, but there were some things like the pluck needing reverb and other things stuck out. But it wasn't bad so just keep it up!

Overall it was a nice song and I hope you keep it up. Reminds me of stuff I used to make!

If you want to return feedback, here's my track.
ZachPayne - Thunder [Future Bass] (Feedback for feedback)

Things I think you did well:
- The music writing sounds nice. Melodies are nice and pleasing and nothing off key or unpleasing to the ears.
- Good arrangement. The song has a natural flow to it and nothing felt out of place.

Things I think could be improved:
- Sound design or preset choice. Things like the pluck around 2:15 sounds very generic and doesn't sit well in the mix. You could change the velocity of each note to create more movement. You could also add reverb to make it sound less dry and boring. It sounds like a lot of the sounds were presets from nexus or something, which isn't necessarily bad, I use nexus as well. But I think tweaking little things will make the sounds less generic. I'm not sure for how long you have been producing but if you're still within your 1st or 2nd year then just keep experimenting and you will learn and get better at choosing and tweaking sounds.
- Mixing was okay, but there were some things like the pluck needing reverb and other things stuck out. But it wasn't bad so just keep it up!

Overall it was a nice song and I hope you keep it up. Reminds me of stuff I used to make!

If you want to return feedback, here's my track.
ZachPayne - Thunder [Future Bass] (Feedback for feedback)

Thank you for the support and feedback it really helps me I used nexus and v - station for synths I think compression and eq is a little bit difficult for me and the synth lead sounded a little bit standard

Nice stereo image, very wide and great use of space. I think the drums need to punch through a lot more, I'd look into parallel compression to have them really drive the groove. Nice melodic choices, solid evolution as the track progress and the arrangement works well. You could probably bring the sub up too. Between the drums and the sub you could really get heads nodding and make it hard to sit still

I Never used paralel compression could you help me out so that the song smashes
Thanks

I Never used paralel compression could you help me out so that the song smashes
Thanks

How I do it is like this:

During mixdown and mix all of my drums together into a drum bus and us a dB meter to keep it as level and balanced as possible (you might have spots with a kick, crash, hat all at the same time causing a peak, use EQ, panning, lower volume, or adjust timing). Once its balanced along with my other groups I bounce it to audio and start a new project. Duplicate the drum bus and make it unique. First one is untouched, 2nd one is overcompressed, like crank it way up. Blend the 2 together by adjusting volume of the compressed version.

I'll add I also mix everything I want ducked by the kick and snare to a 'pre-master no drums' bus which I then use volume automation on so nothing I don't want to play is hitting with the kick and snare. Hope that helps

Back