Moombahton Song Arrangement/Layering Advice (F4F)

hotelsweetmusic

hotelsweetmusic
This is my new moombahton WIP. I haven't touched volume balance, EQ, reverb, compression, any of that mixing stuff yet. I'm looking for advice on what I can do layering or arrangement-wise to make the song more interesting. Layering has become a big focus for me lately because of the depth it can add to a track. So far, I've done the following:

• Layered an additional pad under the main pad in the breakdown. The additional one is higher pitched.
  • Added a kick click, extra clap, and extra shaker to the drop to differentiate it from the intro beat and add more excitement.
  • Added a subtle synth chop underneath my vocal chop in the drop.
I'm sure there is more layering I can do, but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas. What sounds too empty? What would make it more exciting? Keep in mind I haven't added reverb yet which will be a huge help in filling space.

Here is what I have been using as a reference track. Be warned - this is way louder than my track so don't blow your ear drums out:

I'll happily return feedback. Thanks for helping me improve :)

Hi HotelSweetMusic,

The arrangement sounds pretty solid to me, it will probably come more to life when it's mixed as you said.
The only thing I can think of to fatten it up/add something would be to add maybe a saw type pad chord on the first beat of every bar of the drop similar to Munchis' song how he has a snare hit with lots of reverb.
You could also add some subtle distorted tom fills in there to add a bit of variation through the drop.
Thats about all I could come up with hope it helps.

Cheers,
Matt

Back