[Melodic Dub Techno] - Cook & Stans - "Plane take off"

CookAndStans

Hi everybody,
just wanted to ask if you have any thoughts on this one:
Its a chilling Dub Techno tune.

All your thoughts are welcome.
Have a nice weekend :-)
Stans

For some reason I don't like the kick, but I think it's not a quality issue. Just seems to stick out too much. I'd probably add some high shelf filter and reduce the higher frequencies. But if you like it that way I think it's fine. Overall a very chill track. Well done!

Hmm I missed this.. it sounds pretty good on a technical level, I agree with the comments on the kick, that transient is just a bit too hard.
I don't much like the track though. As much as I love dub techno and can't really define what exactly makes great dub techno great.. it is definitely a very fine line... because the style is so minimal every element in the track has to contribute to the the transformative experience that makes it a 'dub' track. This track doesn't have it for me.. I'm missing the dense atmosphere, incidental details, the sense of place and danger.

This is more like what you'd start with and then dub the hell out of it to get at a dub techno sound.
Or it's a kind of unobstrusive ambient background lounge techno type of thing, but then again the sounds aren't unique or interesting enough to really take me anywhere.

Don't take it as a negative though. I'm saying this because it sounds good technically. You guys seem to know what you're doing and are pretty productive...
so to elevate your craft, it's time to start considering some higher order things like 'what's the purpose of this track (in the context of my ep, album, mix, live set) and what am I actually communicating to the listener here?'
So keep going.. it's already pretty great to see people interested in dub techno again, it kinda got eclipsed by dubstep there for a while.

Hi dear localspace,
thank you very much for your detailed message. There are really good thoughts in there and it kindof more cheered me up that you think its technically so good...
So thank you for your message!
Have a nice day,
All the best,
Stans

And thanks to you too Sheldu! :-)

Last edited:
Back