Looking for feedback on my first track...

jmanr011

So I’ve spent the last 20 or so years listening to electronic music of various genres and, in the last year or so, finally got around trying to produce my own. It’s a great feeling, but I know the general rule is that your first twenty or so productions suck.

I’ve been working on this one for a few months and would definitely say it is still a work in progress, but I feel I am to the point where I just want to put it out there and see what some other people think. So, have at it, and let me know what you think. I know any criticism I get now will just make me better on future productions. And bonus points for anyone that figures out the inspiration for it.

This was created in Ableton Live. I made an effort to synthesize as many of the synth sounds and sound effects from scratch as I could. I believe the only preset I used was the lead and I tweaked it quite a bit. I created most of the sound effects too, except for some of the impact sounds.

I would be happy to provide feedback on others tracks as well, but since I am a beginner, I might not have a ton of technical advice to provide, but I could certainly provide general feedback on composition, arrangement, etc as I have been a fan of the genre for a long time.

Last edited:
Hey my man,

Considering this is your first track, it's actually quite good, even though you've been into EDM or a while now, you obviously have an ear for listenable music. In terms of song progression, check out EDM track progression, it'll break down how to structure a song from the introduction to the outro & how long a particular sequence should last for that's used in today's EDM tracks.

The track here is an interesting one, the compression isn't too in your face nor is it too subtle, it's good. Overall, this track is pretty good, nice job.

I think you should change up the groove a bit. The offbeat hat for instance goes for the whole track. I don't listen to that much trance music, and I could imagine that that is one of the main "rules" in trance, but I would like some changes happening in the groove.

For a first track this is definitely quite good, respect for this! What I'd recommend you in general: In the beginning, better don't try to bring one single piece of music to "perfection" - you should rather gain experience from track to track and learn to finish things. In every new project you can bring in what you've learned from the ones before. Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It has definitely inspired me to keep at it and keep improving. The temptation to try to make your first track your masterpiece (which is impossible) is definitely hard to avoid. I'm hoping to make a few more tweaks to this one and then just move on to the next one.

I can appreciate the feedback you're getting as I've only recently made producing a daily focus. You seem to be well on your way, lots of aspects of this track I really like. I also get stuck in that perfectionist mode but have taken the advice to get consistent habits and try to make as many completed tracks as possible. I look forward to hearing future mixes, sorry I can't provide more technical feedback <---- rookie

------------------------------
Made with a 10 year old lap top and earbuds. Any and all feedback appreciated

{Bass/Glitch} At this Point - anyone but me think it's any good?

Last edited:
Quantity is what is going to make you better in the long run man! Its definitely really easy to try to tweak every little detail to make your track perfect, but you'll progress much faster by focussing on volume at first. It sounds like your 20 years of listening has done really well for you in terms of knowing song structure. Its definitely a lot better than my first tracks haha! I was never into this genre too much, but it is really listenable man. Excited to hear some more stuff!

Nice track man! Keep em coming. I really enjoyed this. It took me on a journey for sure.
Thanks! I really love your comment about being taken on a journey. I love music like that and it is big goal for my own music. I love a track that transports you somewhere else for a few minutes.

Back