Hozier - take me to church (my first song ever :O) - Feedback/tips wanted

Zpider

Hey guys
So I have been playing around in FL studio for a while, but never gotten around to actually make/remix a whole song
This is my first "take/edition" of Hozier - Take me to church and it is no where near complete but I am not sure where to go with it, so I am hoping, some of you pros can help me out :)

The style is supposed to be sort of bounce, because as far as I can unterstand it should be a simple genre to start with.
Some of my thought for editing are:
1: The vocals have to be tweaked so they fit better
2: Should I cut out some part of the vocals/song?
3: Should I match up the vocals, so they align with the kick every fourth bar?

I would really appreciate any feedback and I am not afraid to hear if you think I should just scrap the project.

Best regards

Hey man! Kudos for producing your first ever song - I remember mine, I always like to listen to my first production to see how far I've come.

There's a lot I can advise you on but I don't want to overwhelm you so I'll start off with the simple stuff.

First off with the vocals - yeah, they're definitely off beat. You'll probably find it very hard to sync them up and the reason for this is because your production and your acapella are both different BPMs. To fix this, follow these steps:

1. Add your acapella into Edison. Double click the name at the top of your acapella in the time line to open up it's channel settings, then drag the vocal sample into edison which you can open by click the scissors button that I've boxed in red.

edison.png

2. Once in edison, RIGHT click the name of the sample, marked by the red ring. Enter the BPM of the original song which I believe is 129.
Hit accept. Use the arrow pointed button circled in red to drag and drop the sample into the timeline. Remove the old acapella in the timeline.

edison2.png

3. Open up the channel settings in this new acapella sample. On the drop down menu circled in red select Pro Default, then right click the dial named 'Time' to the left of the menu and select 'Autodetect'. When the big menu pops up, select the button at the top which should say "129 (embedded)"

edison3.png

Presto! You're done. Now you just need to move the acapella along the time line so it is in time with the beat, it should sync up perfectly.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you so much Zane

I will look into it and get back to you as soon as I have made some improvements

Best regards

the saw sound that starts at 1:33 really needs to be tweaked. i dont think it really suits the track.

yeah and the vocals need to be worked on. maybe add some reverb and delay to give it some depth. otherwise you are on a good way i guess. i like the bass.

if you want to return the feedback just click the link in my signature und check out my latest track, thanks!

Hey guys
So I have been swamped the last few days, but I think that I got the vocals matched up by now and I made a few other tweaks, that made me feel I have gotten a little step in the right direction.
Take a listen and tell me what my next move should be, if you would be so kind :)

Best regards

Back