{Funky/Jazzy/Glitch/Bass} Any and all feedback appreciated, F4F

Trip Lykely

About 3 months in now and looking for any and all feedback to help improve my sound. Thank you in advance. Happy to give feedback on your track

Last edited:
That's not my kind of music but you've done a good job! I like it!

Thanks for giving it a listen, anything specific you liked? I'm only a few months into producing so any specific pointers is appreciated. I don't really know much about mixing/mastering which is why I included some analyzers if you have any pointers on that. If not, thanks again for checking it out - even though its not your style I'm glad you liked it. If you have a track you want me to check out just ask

Not bad at all. The piano gets a bit on my nerves after a while.. you do a lot of things to it and the drums, but the basic notes, sounds and beat stay the same so it doesn't feel like variation.
Maybe you should try making an entirely different beat and splice that with this one?

As for the mix, it's not great, but not bad either. You're on the right path. There's only so much you're gonna get from these sounds anyway.. like the drums are pretty standard and flat, they
could be a lot more interesting with more percussion, effects, breaks and variations.. but that's more sound design and composing.
You have a bit too much going on in the 200-400hz range, that gives it a boxy feel. Cutting some frequencies here will give the bass a bit more room. It also seems a bit dull in the top end, but boosting that with an EQ will probably not sound great. Almost never does ;) The trick is probably to use panning, subtle reverbs to add more detail and sense of space here. For bass heavy music, the top end detail is key ironically, it's the counterpoint to the bass if that makes sense?

Not bad at all. The piano gets a bit on my nerves after a while.. you do a lot of things to it and the drums, but the basic notes, sounds and beat stay the same so it doesn't feel like variation.
Maybe you should try making an entirely different beat and splice that with this one?

Thanks dude, still working on figuring out how to best do what I want. Definitely try adding another beat, it is the same throughout which isn't what any of my influences do haha

As for the mix, it's not great, but not bad either. You're on the right path. There's only so much you're gonna get from these sounds anyway.. like the drums are pretty standard and flat, they
could be a lot more interesting with more percussion, effects, breaks and variations.. but that's more sound design and composing.

Excellent. Glad to hear I'm going the right direction. When you say theres only so much I can get from these sounds, what exactly do you mean? I'll definitely play around with adding percussion, breaks, and variation. I've got everything else going nuts but was thinking keeping the drums simple would aid in cohesion but listening more I agree with you.

You have a bit too much going on in the 200-400hz range, that gives it a boxy feel. Cutting some frequencies here will give the bass a bit more room. It also seems a bit dull in the top end, but boosting that with an EQ will probably not sound great. Almost never does ;) The trick is probably to use panning, subtle reverbs to add more detail and sense of space here. For bass heavy music, the top end detail is key ironically, it's the counterpoint to the bass if that makes sense?

Really appreciate this specific advice. I just got SPAN but have no idea how to properly use it but I know it will help me since my setup isn't the best. Time to dive into that 200-400hz range. My bass hasn't sounded right to me yet and I wasn't sure why, but highend detail makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and give feedback.

Back