[FreJ!] - Sharp Cacti // (help me identifie the genre of my song)

FreJ!

let me hear what you think, im not an experienced produce (been producing barely half a year), so i know theres a lot of mistakes both composition and mixing wise

Also be harsh with the drums, i only used one sample for layering the snare, the other sounds i madre from scratch with a synth, so i want to know if i did good, bad, or decent!

Also i will try to give feedback for anyone who drops a link although i cant make promises since my knowledge is very limited right know

Last edited:
Really, really nice overall! How bout upping the tempo just a bit? I think the track would be even better with being little bit faster. And maby a tad more sub-bass.
To me, it's melodic house ?

Last edited:
I would lower alot down compared to the pads from the intro everything is really loud.
I would make the melody at 0:50 a bit less dry.

After 1:00 I like the that u panned it.
At 1:30 everything is too messy IMO, use some EQ to filter down the elements so they sit nice in their place.

1:45 the arp is really cool.

2:00 decent transistion towards the break, nice.

Try to learn more about EQing I think that would help u the most.

Overall I would say its pretty good for someone that only did this for 5 months.

Newer people always make things in such an interesting setting, this was something I've made when I just started: https://soundcloud.com/arksss/boom-boom-boom-boom-1
The hihats are completely washed up xD

What daw do u use?

Really, really nice overall! How bout upping the tempo just a bit? I think the track would be even better with being little bit faster. And maby a tad more sub-bass.
To me, it's melodic house ��
Hi! thanks about the comment! I like the upping up the tempo thing, will experiment with that more since im always to closed minded in terms of tempo. The bass was tricky for me because i wanted to make a simple bass but after trying to balance between the kick and the bass i kind of screw up hehe, got to work on that mixing

I would lower alot down compared to the pads from the intro everything is really loud.
I would make the melody at 0:50 a bit less dry.

After 1:00 I like the that u panned it.
At 1:30 everything is too messy IMO, use some EQ to filter down the elements so they sit nice in their place.

1:45 the arp is really cool.

2:00 decent transistion towards the break, nice.

Try to learn more about EQing I think that would help u the most.

Overall I would say its pretty good for someone that only did this for 5 months.

Newer people always make things in such an interesting setting, this was something I've made when I just started: https://soundcloud.com/arksss/boom-boom-boom-boom-1
The hihats are completely washed up xD

What daw do u use?

I really need to improve in mixing, it was a hard time for me mixing this song, i wasnt to sure about the volume of the pads but whenever i tried to turn it up it became ultra wide covering another sounds, something alike happened in the drop, the bass and one of the layers of the melody are to similar in sound and it was difficult to give each other space, but as i said, i got too much to learn, and i think is time for some mixing learning!

I liked your song it was very techno-y and clubby, its nice and constant, good job!

by the way my daw is ableton live intro 9, so im kind of limited when it comes to plugins, but i try to cover the blanks in ableton with free stuff like cockos plugins

Last edited:
I like the melodies, sound design and arrangement! I rarely listen to melodic house tho, so I don't have much to compare it to.
However this track needs some sidechaining and EQ. And maybe a bit of reverb and white noise, I dunno. All in all this is very good considering you've only been producing for 6 months! Keep at it! I've only been producing for around 15 months myself.

Thx for the great feedback btw!

Returning the feed...

The arrangement of everything is cool. The little ideas you have coming in and out throughout the track are nice. As I'm listening, it sounds like some of the elements are out of key which is why some of them are clashing to my ears. I think sound choice is something else to point out. Texture wise the lead clashes a lot with the vibe of the rest of the instruments. Try messing with your mix approach as well. Things sound a bit cluttered - like everything is competing to be the main focus on the track. Prioritize what you want to be the focus of the track and then order/level the other elements relative to that. There's a lot of helpful videos online to help with that.

Back