Feedback on melodic house remix

Linkan

Hey,

Been working on a remix of Fabian Mazur's track 'Lighthouse' for the last couple days and overall I'm quite happy with where it's at. It's got a real positive and summer-like vibe but there are some things I'm quite unsure of. The top melody just seems a bit off and the sounds are perhaps not the best choice. This was also the first time I've really tried to play around with drums doing a snare roll and some weird ride stuff and overall I felt it really enhanced the track but I struggled with mixing and I think it shines through at some points. It just feels like something is missing and I've been staring at the track for hours now trying out some different things - including changing the top melody - but I'm stuck and could really use some thoughts on how it can be improved.

Appreciate all feedback and if you've got a track you'd like me to give my two cents on, I'll gladly do so in return :)

Thanks in advance!

Hey Linkan, I think the melody and overall writing is a little not fitting with song itself. It comes off a bit.. generic? It's definitely done well but the writing doesn't seem to fit the overall mood. Like the song is a love song so writing something that evokes love type emotions would work. By the way, are those your vocal chops on Your Song Remix? I quite like them.

Hey Linkan, I think the melody and overall writing is a little not fitting with song itself. It comes off a bit.. generic? It's definitely done well but the writing doesn't seem to fit the overall mood. Like the song is a love song so writing something that evokes love type emotions would work. By the way, are those your vocal chops on Your Song Remix? I quite like them.

I agree with you. The melody doesn't fit at all, I thought the sound I used is a little sharp on the ear as well. So yeah I'm gonna have to make something completely new out of that and I like the way you're thinking of trying to give it some love-type-vibe. Do you think the instrumental is wrong mood-wise throughout the entire track or just at certain points? Because I feel the chords are pretty emotional themselves but with it being such a 'straight' track it ofc gets a little boring, especially when the melody isn't strong enough to carry it.

Thanks! That was the first time I had ever tried doing anything with vocal chops so there was quite a lot of trial and error but I thought it turned out all right haha. In hindsight, I think that remix could use some rework but that was the first track I had done with vocals at all so I was just so excited that it was close to where I wanted it to be. :)

Cheers for taking the time to listen and give your thoughts. Means the world! If I see you post a thread asking for feedback I'll be sure to give it a look and let you know what I think.

I agree with you. The melody doesn't fit at all, I thought the sound I used is a little sharp on the ear as well. So yeah I'm gonna have to make something completely new out of that and I like the way you're thinking of trying to give it some love-type-vibe. Do you think the instrumental is wrong mood-wise throughout the entire track or just at certain points? Because I feel the chords are pretty emotional themselves but with it being such a 'straight' track it ofc gets a little boring, especially when the melody isn't strong enough to carry it.

Thanks! That was the first time I had ever tried doing anything with vocal chops so there was quite a lot of trial and error but I thought it turned out all right haha. In hindsight, I think that remix could use some rework but that was the first track I had done with vocals at all so I was just so excited that it was close to where I wanted it to be. :)

Cheers for taking the time to listen and give your thoughts. Means the world! If I see you post a thread asking for feedback I'll be sure to give it a look and let you know what I think.

Yeah I did think the chords fit. I'm just thinking it should be a little more complex but that's just my preference.

Back