Ed Sheeran - Shape of you (house remix)

Nice. Very good vibe.! Vocal fits great. I don't know the correct words for everything but to me for instance at the part that start at 0,45, it sounds kind of distorted or something.

ok so I'm gonna be completely honest with you, because I think that's gonna help you much more than a simple 'nice track bro'

1. The hihats are way too sharp, my ears get sore a few bars into the track;
2. Some of the transitions are too abrupt, you need to make the different sections flow nicely into each other using effects/sweeps/reversed reverbs/etc.;
3. The mix is a mess, there's way too much going on in the higher frequencies and sometime I can barely understand the vocals. The main pluck synth has too much sub, it's conflicting with the kick's bass.
4. I know this is always tough to hear, but there's nothing really special about this track. There's no bits where I hear a synth or an effect or something and feel like "holy shit how did he do that?!". I'd say try to play around more to add interesting parts to keep the listener's attention, you want him to feel like he's missing out on something if he skips a bit of the track.

I think the most important thing on this forum is for people to be honest towards each other and actually help each other than to throw around useless feedback just to get the same useless feedback in return.
I hope I helped ;)
- Walter Slewis

ok so I'm gonna be completely honest with you, because I think that's gonna help you much more than a simple 'nice track bro'

1. The hihats are way too sharp, my ears get sore a few bars into the track;
2. Some of the transitions are too abrupt, you need to make the different sections flow nicely into each other using effects/sweeps/reversed reverbs/etc.;
3. The mix is a mess, there's way too much going on in the higher frequencies and sometime I can barely understand the vocals. The main pluck synth has too much sub, it's conflicting with the kick's bass.
4. I know this is always tough to hear, but there's nothing really special about this track. There's no bits where I hear a synth or an effect or something and feel like "holy shit how did he do that?!". I'd say try to play around more to add interesting parts to keep the listener's attention, you want him to feel like he's missing out on something if he skips a bit of the track.

I think the most important thing on this forum is for people to be honest towards each other and actually help each other than to throw around useless feedback just to get the same useless feedback in return.
I hope I helped ;)
- Walter Slewis
I defenitely agree man, this are exacly the comments i am looking for, the constructive ones that help improve.
Im actually having the problems you described usually on all my tracks and im having difficult time resolving them.
Hopefully i will get better anytime soon ;p

Well, preety nice remix but few things to change :

- Hi Frequency percussion is too loud,
- Kick is a bit quiet in whole mix (probably it clashes with bassline), have You tried to sidechain Your bassline with kick ?
- I would try to glue whole mix together - for now some tracks sounds like from other track (try more reverb on leads and a short low cut reverb on bass).
- Try do some saturation on master channel - I always make some saturation on master to give my track a little bit of buzzing.

Great arrangement, but mix lacks a bit. Keep working on it !!

Best regards,

Tomek

I defenitely agree man, this are exacly the comments i am looking for, the constructive ones that help improve.
Im actually having the problems you described usually on all my tracks and im having difficult time resolving them.
Hopefully i will get better anytime soon ;p

Well if you want some tips on how to fix those problems, here's a few according to each problem:

1:
EQ the frequencies that cause the problem, usually I first make a really exagerrated cut to find the frequencies then I change it to the point where I'm satisfied.
Lower the volume
Look for a different sample that has different frequencies
If I like the sampple cut for example the 'transient' or 'click' at the start is too harsh, I compress.
The sound is also harsh because there's nothing else happening at the same time to smoothen it out - it's quiet whenever the sample's not playing, making it hit extra hard when it plays (this can be used for profit as well, such as the first kick of a drop)

2:
For effects, what I do quite often is make reverb shots from synths/percussion/whatever and reverse them then add them at the points where that synth is gonna start or stop or whenever I want.
Effects are one of the fun things about production since you can get really freaky with them, for example:
I grab a reversed reverb shot. I automate the panning so it sweeps left and right, sweeping in a loop, each time faster and faster. The I throw some delay & distortion on it, automate them both.
Render the sample and edit it to make it perfect, then, voilá you have a cool sample.
You can also make drum rolls, use growls, bass hits, anything really. Effects aren't anything specific.
Even though white noise sweeps sound pretty boring on their own, I almost ALWAYS put them at least with low volume under the buildups/transitions.

3:
High pass everything. EVERY. THING. You don't want any sound apart from the sub and the kick to use up the really low frequencies. If you have a sub, for example on your pluck, sidechain the sh*t out of it, you want the kick to come through nice and clean.
I'm not sure if the kick is centred or not but it doesnt sound like it. You always want kicks to be in mono and not stereo so that it sounds clean on any speaker setup.
Put an EQ on the most important elements of the track and study the most important frequencies they take up, for example in voice the freequencies that make the vocal clear and understandable and the ones that give it air, volume etc. Then see if these frequencies are conflicting with other instruments and if they are, alter the less important instruments so the frequencies dont conflict (e.g. EQ, lower volume, compress and EQ, etc)

4:
This is something you'll learn with time so I won't worry too much, but just try to make up new stuff and mess around with things and see what sounds cool, then try to include it in your tracks.

You're welcome ;)
- Walter Slewis

P.S. for the tips I give, you don't need to use them all at the same time, just use the one(s) that work best.

Last edited:
This is decent, you did some great work with the vocals and chopping them up to the beat. However I honestly disliked the melody between 0:59-1:14 and where it repeats near the end, I'm not sure if its the synth you used or the notes but they didn't really fit anywhere in that remix imo.

Keep at it!!!

-ORVA

Last edited:
Back