Direction regarding mud and vocal-mix

You might try bringing . I think your drumming could use a little more side chain compression on the rest of the track. I feel your guitars are a little to high in the mix.
In regard to the vox, try lifting the high end and taking out the clashing low frequencies. I don't have my headphones so i can't tell for sure, but it sounds as if your vocals would sound better with more stereo wideness. They should also be up a bit higher in the mix. Overall, they don't sound that muddy.

You might try bringing . I think your drumming could use a little more side chain compression on the rest of the track. I feel your guitars are a little to high in the mix.
In regard to the vox, try lifting the high end and taking out the clashing low frequencies. I don't have my headphones so i can't tell for sure, but it sounds as if your vocals would sound better with more stereo wideness. They should also be up a bit higher in the mix. Overall, they don't sound that muddy.

Thank you for advice - Ill try adding those tips for sure!

Last edited:
Hey! I think there a few things that could possibly make the vocals sit better in the mix. I'll name some that come to mind. First off, I think during the vocal parts, the guitar and piano, especially the piano, take up most of the space from the vocals. Now I don't know where you could cut exactly, use your ears, but I suspect if you cut the piano and/or guitar somewhere around the mid/low mid frequencies, it might leave more space for the vocals. But do experiment and use your ears to see what helps and still sounds good. You could also add some higher frequencies to the voice to make it stand out more. I'm talking somewhere around 10000 Hz. Cool song though!

If you want to return the feedback, here's my track.
ZachPayne - Crystal Sky [Melodic Dubstep] (Feedback for feedback)

Hey! I think there a few things that could possibly make the vocals sit better in the mix. I'll name some that come to mind. First off, I think during the vocal parts, the guitar and piano, especially the piano, take up most of the space from the vocals. Now I don't know where you could cut exactly, use your ears, but I suspect if you cut the piano and/or guitar somewhere around the mid/low mid frequencies, it might leave more space for the vocals. But do experiment and use your ears to see what helps and still sounds good. You could also add some higher frequencies to the voice to make it stand out more. I'm talking somewhere around 10000 Hz. Cool song though!

If you want to return the feedback, here's my track.
ZachPayne - Crystal Sky [Melodic Dubstep] (Feedback for feedback)

I tried your advice by sidechaining a multiband-compressor on the clashing frequencies for the vocals and piano - and it sits much better. Thank you very much!

Back