[Deep house] Marks - Dawn

MarkSmh

Hey guys,

I've recently finished this song and I was wondering what u guys were thinking about it.

It's a house song, I believe the sub genre is deep house or tech house.

I've made all the patterns and programmed the synths myself.
The synths I used are GMS and carbon electra.
I used alot of samples from different sample packs from loopmaster which I bought like 2 weeks ago.

I'm curious to hear what u guys think and if u have a track that u need an opinion on, feel free to comment it below ur feedback!

Thanks!

~MarkS

Hello Mark,

This is a good basic for a song. Everything I hear in the track sounds ok and sits in the right place.

But there's not enough going on in the song to keep the interest of the listener.

Take the first minute, for instance; almost nothing changes in the song, it gets a bit boring. You could add an up- and/or downlifter to keep things interesting. I can understand you want to keep it minimal but there has to change something.

at around 4:10 you introduce a great chord stab. Maybe you can introduce it earlier in the track and play with delay/chorus to give it some variation later in the song.

It's funky, it makes my head nod, it has the right sounds, just make it more interesting, give the song some movement.

Dirk

Last edited:
Hello Mark,

This is a good basic for a song. Everything I hear in the track sounds ok and sits in the right place.

But there's not enough going on in the song to keep the interest of the listener.

Take the first minute, for instance; almost nothing changes in the song, it gets a bit boring. You could add an up- and/or downlifter to keep things interesting. I can understand you want to keep it minimal but there has to change something.

at around 4:10 you introduce a great chord stab. Maybe you can introduce it earlier in the track and play with delay/chorus to give it some variation later in the song.

It's funky, it makes my head nod, it has the right sounds, just make it more interesting, give the song some movement.

Dirk

Thanks, that's some great feedback!

Yea I am aware that the biggest weakness is probably the lack of bigger movements during the track, but before every bit of break there are like some smaller things introduced.
I feel like my mix is pretty good because there are not alot of times where u hear things battling for some space through the speakers even though there is actually alot going on.
Yea recently my tracks started to have a lack of lifters, I used some white noise, filters and some reverse crashes for that to compensate.

That's for the advice, I will go over it tomorrow!

It will probably result in a shorter lasting song, but honestly I already think it's too long for what it offers anyways.

I don't really listen to too much of this type of house, but it seems executed ok over all. What I would maybe do would be add some more variation on the initial section of the song, the section from 0:00 to 0:30. Perhaps using an automated low pass filter of some sort? Or maybe even a fade in to complement the fade out at the end of the song. I liked when the drums started to settle in to the pattern at 1:03. I hope some of this is helpful!

If you want to check out one of my tracks, my Soundcloud should be in my sig. I would post a direct link but I can't post links yet lol.

Regards,
UK

Last edited:
I don't really listen to too much of this type of house, but it seems executed ok over all. What I would maybe do would be add some more variation on the initial section of the song, the section from 0:00 to 0:30. Perhaps using an automated low pass filter of some sort? Or maybe even a fade in to complement the fade out at the end of the song. I liked when the drums started to settle in to the pattern at 1:03. I hope some of this is helpful!

If you want to check out one of my tracks, my Soundcloud should be in my sig. I would post a direct link but I can't post links yet lol.

Regards,
UK

There is a cutoff filter on the kick in the intro, but yea it is not significant at all, u can hear it if u concentrate on it but it is underwelming maybe I could introduce the chords in the intro to make it pop out later again!

Thanks for ur time and the tips I will take a look at it, also i will take a look at ur sound cloud.

MarkS

Thanks, that's some great feedback!

You're welcome!

I feel like my mix is pretty good

I forgot to comment on that. Your mix is great!

Yea recently my tracks started to have a lack of lifters, I used some white noise, filters and some reverse crashes for that to compensate.

Lack of filters is fine, if that's your goal. You can be very creative with white noise. You can, for instance, automate it with a cutoff filter (low pass or bandpass is common) over lots of bars (16 or 32) and put a flanger or phaser on it. Or play with delay or reverb.

You're welcome!

I forgot to comment on that. Your mix is great!

Lack of filters is fine, if that's your goal. You can be very creative with white noise. You can, for instance, automate it with a cutoff filter (low pass or bandpass is common) over lots of bars (16 or 32) and put a flanger or phaser on it. Or play with delay or reverb.

Yea i used some white noise in the big break, but using like a side chain white noise or white noise over the track could screw over the mix, I am still trying things out with white noise, creativity is probably the only limit to that! Thanks for your time and advice!

~MarkS

I don't know if I am the right person to comment on this track, I usually listen to more melodic and vocal based music. But I am going to try
I like the deep bassline, it realy makes this track.
then I realy like the melodic percussion you used
The transitions are ver subtle, fits with the style you are going for
The bassline together with the kick and percussions stay the main elements throughout the whole track wich I guess is what you was going for.
I don't think I could make a track like this and keep it interresting, good job for that

I don't know if I am the right person to comment on this track, I usually listen to more melodic and vocal based music. But I am going to try
I like the deep bassline, it realy makes this track.
then I realy like the melodic percussion you used
The transitions are ver subtle, fits with the style you are going for
The bassline together with the kick and percussions stay the main elements throughout the whole track wich I guess is what you was going for.
I don't think I could make a track like this and keep it interresting, good job for that

Okay, first of all, feedback is feedback, u got yes sayers and no sayers and some people who actually point things out which make it or break it for them.
I'm actually suprised that u told me what u did like about the track and what u normaly listen to, which gives me an indication of what kind of person listened my track.
I actually asked you to review this track because ur track is the same genre but from a different culture (if u get what i mean), which made me think "does this person understand my track".

With the mindset of creating a song u'll find elements which fit like story of the track.
But yea the whole track was made of the idea that the subbass bounced with the toms which accidently happened when i did put both together.
The goal of my track was to make a chilled, slow moving song without too much interruption while still keeping it intresting (I reached the goal but i'm kinda sceptical about the 1 min intro and some other elements).
Ur goal was to make a kind of feel good song that's easy to listen to while sounding catchy and a bit emotional, which I think u reached.

I really appriciate ur time and effort to listen to my track whilist giving ur opinion, thanks for that!

~MarkS

Sup Mark,

Cool track man, haven’t heard much minimal house in a while so it makes a change from the more mainstream deep house sound.

I disagree with manduator when he says, “there is not enough going on.” I guess it depends what kind of track you are trying to make but I think that the track works extremely well as a minimal house track. You could add some more layers/instruments/vocals, but I don’t think it is 100% necessary. I do agree that you could add some filters sweeps/risers/downlifters, and maybe try and add a bit of a ‘break down’ section, but overall I really like the track.

Really like the drop at 3:09, got my head bouncing along :D. Maybe you could turn up the synth that enters around 2:28? Seems a little quiet.

Keep up the good work dude!

5K.

Sup Mark,

Cool track man, haven’t heard much minimal house in a while so it makes a change from the more mainstream deep house sound.

I disagree with manduator when he says, “there is not enough going on.” I guess it depends what kind of track you are trying to make but I think that the track works extremely well as a minimal house track. You could add some more layers/instruments/vocals, but I don’t think it is 100% necessary. I do agree that you could add some filters sweeps/risers/downlifters, and maybe try and add a bit of a ‘break down’ section, but overall I really like the track.

Really like the drop at 3:09, got my head bouncing along :D. Maybe you could turn up the synth that enters around 2:28? Seems a little quiet.

Keep up the good work dude!

5K.

Thanks for the great feedback! The synth at 2:28 is a bit random with the volume, it's an effect that i did on purpose but maybe I was overthinking myself at that part.
Yea overall I am pretty happy with the way the track turned out.
I really love the genre right now but the group of people who actually listen to it is kind of hard to reach.

Thanks for your time and advice!

Back