Deep House F4F

I like the chord progression. White noise risers filled up the mix nicely. Some of the panned sounds in the beginning sounded slightly harsh on my setup (Sennheisers lmao). For example the ringing sound at 0:25. You could even cut down that long intro and jump into the main body of the track earlier if you'd like. Not personally a fan of using chopped spoken word samples, in my opinion the track doesn't need it and stands on its own. Would be nice with some vocals or some glitchy female vocal chops. Nice track overall man, I enjoyed it.

Here's my track: https://www.futureproducers.com/for...use-dance/loopy-night-funk-electronic-535612/

Last edited:
Great track man! I personally think that the long intro fits really good with the vibe of the track,
mixing sounds good and cause of the progression the track didn't bore me for a second, keep it up!

Hey man nice work, maybe get that kick a bit more thumpy, some more percussion and stuff too would be cool

Check me out :)

+1 for kick a little bit louder/pronounced, and and that hihat sounds a little bit dry. maybe some reverb or delay to make it more live. otherwise i really like melody and progression!

I'd say definately no more percussion! Maby some more sub kick, but don't ruin it! It really is great as it is! If you're gonna make changes, please keep this original available to listen :) I'm playing it 6th time as it really hits me!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Really appreciate it. Still got a fair bit of work to do in terms of mixing, and I'll take all of your comments into consideration (e.g. improving the kick, etc.) when finalising it. I'm also thinking about playing around with the structure a bit. I'll upload the updated version in a week or two :). Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've been away in Iceland and will return feedback asap. Please post me your links if you haven't already.

Great track! Like the concept, vocals (really liked these!), overall composition, sounds, and mixing. Really liked the vocals.

My critiques:

Seems like you're missing some crashes (or downshifters). During a few minor phrase transitions I felt a bit of a build but then without a crash, downshifter just felt let down at the transition. Sometimes a small build (like a reverse crash) without a following crash/downshifter can build tension. These just seemed to deflate the transition. Consider some crashes/downshifters.

Bass/kick mix is muddy. Seems like others above agree. Not an expert (so take this with a grain of salt), but consider sidechaining, eqing, retuning kick. Overall, kick gets very lost.

I think the melody should vary more in terms of complexity (at times could be less complex). I think that would help to bring the listener to places you want them to go. For example, during the first build, the main melody plays and then continues right into the drop. This makes the drop less dramatic (less tension/release). Perhaps consider keeping the same lead sound and rhythm during the build but changing the melody so that it plays only on one note (the tonic would be the natural choice, G#, I think in this case). Perhaps also pair with a tonal riser. Would really increase the tension/release during that transition.

I think the arrangement after the second breakdown could use some work (around 2:21). It seems to go just right into another "drop" (really just another main section). Traditionally, a second build would follow that breakdown and then precede a second drop. I think this would better build the tension, rather than just jumping right into another main section (without warning or tension/excitement).

Also, overall while I like the vocals, I think they're a bit overdone. Perhaps consider taking some of them (not all of them!) out, particularly towards the end. Just thin them out and place them strategically to keep the them going and generate interest/excitement (rather than just have them repeat).

Anyway, those are my comments. But I think you've got a great base to work from and could really improve the track with improving the kick/bass mix and some arrangement edits/additions.

Good luck!

Great track! Like the concept, vocals (really liked these!), overall composition, sounds, and mixing. Really liked the vocals.

My critiques:

Seems like you're missing some crashes (or downshifters). During a few minor phrase transitions I felt a bit of a build but then without a crash, downshifter just felt let down at the transition. Sometimes a small build (like a reverse crash) without a following crash/downshifter can build tension. These just seemed to deflate the transition. Consider some crashes/downshifters.

Bass/kick mix is muddy. Seems like others above agree. Not an expert (so take this with a grain of salt), but consider sidechaining, eqing, retuning kick. Overall, kick gets very lost.

I think the melody should vary more in terms of complexity (at times could be less complex). I think that would help to bring the listener to places you want them to go. For example, during the first build, the main melody plays and then continues right into the drop. This makes the drop less dramatic (less tension/release). Perhaps consider keeping the same lead sound and rhythm during the build but changing the melody so that it plays only on one note (the tonic would be the natural choice, G#, I think in this case). Perhaps also pair with a tonal riser. Would really increase the tension/release during that transition.

I think the arrangement after the second breakdown could use some work (around 2:21). It seems to go just right into another "drop" (really just another main section). Traditionally, a second build would follow that breakdown and then precede a second drop. I think this would better build the tension, rather than just jumping right into another main section (without warning or tension/excitement).

Also, overall while I like the vocals, I think they're a bit overdone. Perhaps consider taking some of them (not all of them!) out, particularly towards the end. Just thin them out and place them strategically to keep the them going and generate interest/excitement (rather than just have them repeat).

Anyway, those are my comments. But I think you've got a great base to work from and could really improve the track with improving the kick/bass mix and some arrangement edits/additions.

Good luck!

chvynva916 - those comments are extremely useful and exactly the sort of feedback I'm after. I agree with you on all of the points. The track is definitely too complex at points and could do with modifying. I did a bit of work on the kick and did use side chain compression but there are a number of bass layers and I'm not sure whether it cuts through them all.

I agree with the second drop comment. I'm currently looking at the arrangement because I might bring the outro further forward in the track because people seemed to enjoy this part of the song the most.

I will look into the risers/downlifters to make sure they all add up - do you think I should remove the reversed cymbals then? Did any of the bigger risers have the same problem in your eyes?

Thanks again for your feedback, do you have any tracks for me to look at? If not, send me a link to your Soundcloud anyway ;)

this track has some good elements. As some people have already mentioned, the kick needs to be brought up in the mix or even layered with another kick so that it drives the track more

Back