Camila Cabello - Havana ft. Young Thug (AVGHOST remix)

AVGHOST

I haven't even heard this song until last Thursday, and I just had to make a remix of it. I hope you guys enjoy it! Sending love and good vibes!

It's obvious you have the know-how to mix properly. The song really grabs you with how the different instrumentations work together. Really impressed with this one AVGHOST!

Hi Battlegun!

I seriously appreciate the kind words and I am delighted to deliver better quality for you guys with each new track! In comparison to "Trouble", I really went with a more minimal approach to utilizing plugins for sound correction and it seems to have paid off.

KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid

As far as mixing, I went from doing most work in my regular earbuds, then mixed in my ATH-M40x. After my first mix, I was going back between earbuds, M40x, Plantronics mono bluetooth headset which I use for work, my cheap ass computer speakers, and in the car with an above average sound system. I would definitely attribute a lot of the later corrections I made after hearing how the music sounds in different mediums, and a good balance between all of those is really the best sound overall.

Any new work you will be sharing with us soon?

Hey Mitso!

I am glad you enjoyed it, thank you! I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible:

How do you get that high-end so warm and calm??
I don't know. To be honest, this is the first track I'm proud of the mix/master stages, but not sure exactly what to attribute to the final sound of the higher frequencies. I definitely experienced harshness while editing, just not sure exactly when and where. One of those areas was Reverb, surprisingly. I use Tal-Reverb 4 (TAL - Togu Audio Line: TAL-Reverb-4) and if the Hi-cut was anywhere above the middle mark, the high frequencies would resonate and distort the track a bit. Another thing is definitely a balance of mixing while listening on different audio devices, compression, EQing and using a Limiter. If you use Ableton, I would suggest throwing an OTT (Multiband dynamics) and maybe lowering the threshold on the high frequency group, and other DAWs have similar plugins.

Does it has something to do with how steep my eq curves are??
I could only tell you that if I had the track itself to analyze. I started using Fab Filter Pro-Q 2 and I noticed a trick with the past two songs I edited. If you hover the mouse on the soundwaves in the plugin, it saves the highest position each frequency (Hz) reaches while the song is playing. If anything there is above the -10 db mark, it'll distort, resonate, or worse. You generally want a high Q to cut resonating frequencies, and a very low Q and gentle adjustments for broader sounds. Cutting everything off from 16-18.5 KHz and up can help remove unnecessary hissing, which just adds to the volume without really sounding good. Zen World's video helped a lot and was the last mastering video I checked out so far. I don't do everything 100% like he described, but the plugin introduction as well as general idea for the mastering stage was well presented.

YouTube

Untitled-2342342641.jpg

I reviewed one of your songs yesterday and don't think it was harsh, and neither does Shake It Off sound bad. I feel like I heard a lot of hard house with a lot more "brightness" to the tracks, so yours don't stand out negatively in that regard and I still enjoy them a lot! I'll check out Shake It Off in more detail a tad later today!

Peace

Last edited:
After effects on the video effects? Such a nice touch. I have 14-15 tracks I need to make audio videos for.....Wish I had a little more extra coin to pay someone else to do it for me lol. I enjoy doing it though, just there's never a shortage of things to do :lol:

This remix is sick. I particularly liked young thugs part lol. I'm a secret fan of young thug though

I like the overall arrangement of the track, it progresses in a clear and simple way and lets you build up your sounds moving forward. For the vocal sample that's being pitched around to create the melody I think you could add some effects to it towards the end of the song. I think that would help the track maintain it's appeal and, if anything, indicate to the listener that the track is approaching it's final climactic section. Little psychological ques like that can trick the brain into thinking that something sounds more intense than it really is. As far as effects go, some millisecond delay could go a long way in triggering a slight Haas effect every so often to give that melodic voice some more emphasis. Also consider increasing the impact that the drums have on the track as a whole to really reinforce the rhythm you have going on. This is really my opinion as the drums sound great the way they are. As you know I make EDM so I'm going to be bias in some respects. The production quality is excellent man, very well done! You totally nailed the sound of that genre as well and I think you should keep pursuing this style of music. You're quite good at making it.

Hey baked phresh!

Thanks man! It is After Effects, and I just watched one of those typical "Trap Nation Audio Spectrum" tutorials, and then adjusted the rest to my liking. YouTube <- that's the video I used, and it works great because you create different sequences which act more like "layer groups". Whenever I have a new song now, I open a previous song's AE file, change the time on the sequences and the background/music files, and render overnight. Obviously, I do more checking than that, but you get the gist. With my computer's specs it takes about 3.5-4 hours to render a 4-5 minute video without audio, and then I layer the actual audio that will be played separately in Premiere and export via Adobe's Media Encoder. Minimal effort once you get the hang of it after a few tries!

Let me know if there's a song you'd like me to check out (if I haven't yet. Sometimes ppl's forum names don't match SC/YT. Sometimes it's the emjay.)

---

Hey Beaches!

Thanks to you as well! You made some interesting points that I will delve into with my next track, which I want to be a bit more melodic and moving, like a really good Future Bass sound, so a lot of work with vocal chops is in the plans. Wasn't even aware the Haas effect had a name and was used the way this guy described it - YouTube - so I continue to learn something new every day!

As far as the drums, I recently got a MIDI keyboard and will just have to get myself into the habit of using the keys and drum pad for a better beat. I can tap out interesting stuff, but I get too mechanical when drawing in drum lines or something haha

This isn't really my kind of genre, but I can tell objectively this song is well put together. The only thing that kind of put me off was the abrupt ending. I'm assuming that was an error on the video side? Besides that you did a nice job once again, this sounds like something that would play on the radio.

Honestly this song is really well put together. Mixed and master very well. The only thing I want to say is he drop is kinda not in the same key, well for my ears at least. It's not exactly off key but I think you can use a better chord progression for the drop. But great track overall.

Thanks for taking the time to listen guys!

AInclan,

I hear you on that. I was having some issues with After Effects and after several renders with only this little annoying thing left to fix, I just gave up and left it as such. I do appreciate your feedback and I am glad you enjoyed it, even if it's outside of your taste!

---

Steve Truong,

I think I get what you're saying. I'll definitely spend some more time studying chord progressions and inversions to really inject one feeling or another into my next work and make sure everything sits as best as it can! Thanks for pointing that out!

Last edited:
Wow, this is really well made, I think you have a clean sound and the arrangement flows well.

I really like the video too, nice work :)

Last edited:
Hey JKillz,

I appreciate it and happy you enjoyed it!

---

On a side note, I'm super excited about the positive reception. I haven't been doing any music after a hiatus caused by my departure from my conservatory over 5 years ago, and all the helpful and positive feedback is seriously encouraging and motivating. I'm a little daunted now that I have to live up to this song and always keep my own standards high, but I guess we always have to live up to our "best yet"!

I'm also open for anything, in case someone else was thinking about trying out a collab at some point! Thanks again, everyone!

AV Ghost! Up till yesterday I had only heard remixes, and then I was like I'm gonna grab a coffee from upstairs, and the original was playing on the TV and was like "oh". Anyway your remix is better than the original in my opinion and I love the tropical trap vibe you got goin on here. Great stuff! Those saw synths at the end (Like 3:50ish so not quite the end) might be a little hard to hear what notes they're actually playing, just because they get a little drowned out by everything else and then and I'm only really hearing the white noise parts of it... but I really love this! Great work dude! Also great job on the video, I've been trying to figure out the video part but not quite sure how..

My dudes!

I am so f**king grateful for all the support and comments. Thanks so much for providing input - I'm definitely listening!

Best to you and yours!

Back