Arrow of Time (Original) Need Help Finishing-will give in-depth critique for feedback

This track centers around the interaction between percussive elements and bass synths that give it a rather serious attitude. This is countered by the soft and relaxing chords layered on top. It's not quite finished yet so I would love feedback on the track in its current form, and any suggestions on where I could take it from here.
The entropy of the universe must always increase and thus the arrow of time points only towards the future. Hopefully this track will help in making someone's future a little better.

Interesting track, haven't heard anything like this in a while!

Maybe the percussion could be a bit more loose by some more fills and crashes but I am not sure if that would fit.

The mix is really clean but a bit harsh, but that's not a problem.

Maybe adding some FX in parts to get it a bit more moving.
I am kinda missing a hook or a melody, one that sucks you back in time :).
Maybe some manley voices in the background would put some more ambient to it aswell.

Overall great track, nothing too much to say other then my thoughts!

Would you mind checking out my track?
[House] Mark Smit - Past

Like I said the track is pretty much a skeleton right now. Originally it was just the drums and the bass with some white noise FX here and there. I just thought the beat is really nice and has a lot of potential. I added those reverbed chords to act as a foundation for the melody that I want to introduce in the song's final act. When you say 'harsh' are you referring to the high end? I agree it's a little too much. I always struggle with hooks, I'm not sure what to do about that. Thanks for your input though it really helps me out!! Of course I will listen and critique your song to the best of my ability!

Yea the high-end, the hats and samples.
It's not that bad but it keeps me from putting it too loud, because I am pretty sensitive when it comes to harsh sounds lol.

Maybe something like this would help even though I cant figure out the last part for some reason.
As the lead atleast.
Melody by Mark Smit | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Looking forward to read it :)

Last edited:
I agree. You might find the non "mastered" version easier to listen to. I'm still learning the basics of "mastering" and I don't have much experience mastering tracks. I should probably just go to a third party to master it. But, IMO anyone can learn to master tracks on their own it just takes a lot of research and experimentation. I actually use no samples. I synthesize all of my sounds myself. For example, a lot of people will tell you that you should just sample kick drums because it's 'too hard' to make your own. I think that's BS. When there's a will, there's a way.

I use Ableton Live as my DAW and I run Izotope Ozone 7 inside of Live as a mastering suite. It has a bunch of different modules like multiband compression, dynamic EQ, maximizer, limiter, etc. that you can arrange to establish the signal flow. But you can also put together a mastering suite with the stock plugins that come with Live or really any other DAW. I think that creating your own sounds teaches you a lot about sound design in general and it also gives your track a unique sound.

Ah cool!

I personally use FL Studio for everything, but Ableton sounds really appealing for me since the workflow seems better.
But I would only make my own sounds for fun, not for design really, even though I don't use loops as much.

It's just not better for my workflow.

FL Studio is fine. I've used it before and it's a great DAW. I mess around with sounds for fun and try to find ways to work them into a song. To each his own.

While its not really my style of music, I like that little effect after the kick. Makes it sound like it's connected to velcro or something. Lol

Back