Are you picky when sampling?

I am indeed picky... I pick some of the worst samples imaginable and work them until they sound like something... it sometimes even works too haha

I usually have no preconceived idea of what type of sample I wanna flip, I just go thru records until I hear something dope that I wanna flip. But often times I'll start this process and lose interest before I get something really dope going. I think it's a good idea to have something in mind, whether it's a style, a vibe or sound, that you want your beat to sound like in the end, that way you have somewhat of a set goal of what you are trying to achieve with your beat. But everyday is different for me, I try to keep the beat making experience as fresh as possible to keep me motivated.

I'm not picky I can take any sample and make something good with it. Its funny me and a friend use to go record shopping and just grab a few crates at a time. Just walk in 50.00 worth of records didn't bother looking through them just quick glance to make sure we didn't have and if we did we ebayed it o well.

Then we'd be at the lab and we'd make a game out of it.. giving each other the worst looking record to make a track from ( just judging by the cover)

But yea i'm not picky

Nah I listen to random stuff on youtube and see if anything catches my ear.

Also I have no problem trying to flip something I've already heard flipped by somebody else, though of course I have to somehow make that my song or else what's the point?

I usually start with a core idea, and see if i even need to sample to achieve it! If i am samplin though, I like for something mellow or dark, and just flip it according to who I'm producing for

It depends for me. If an artist I am working with has an idea of what he/she wants, I will cater to that. Sometime I will hear a dope beat that inspires me to make something similar. Sometimes I am just digging and listening for anything that sounds dope to me.

I try to get something that people are familiar with and change it up. Pitch wise, order wise, anything so that people will go "Wait..isnt that..."

i'm picky about everything in my beats.
my drums, my keys everything has to be that right sound for the sample.

I usually look for mellow and sad samples. something soulful, jazzy.

sometimes i get impatient and im not picky enough. bad habit for a novice. but then sometimes the flip is surprising.

I find something I like and then I pretend I am stranded on a dessert island with that sample, then the magic happens!

So I was watching an interview with The Alchemist the other day and got to thinking. In the interview he said he will have an idea of the beat he wants to make and dig through records until he finds exactly what he is looking for or something close enough that he can tweak it to what he wants. In that thread for the 9th beat making vid, he says something similar.

Do any of you guys do this?

I never have myself. If I come across a dope sample I flip it. I think that is what creates the diversity of my beats. If I find some dark evil piano I'll go and flip that, then right after I might loop up some chill jazz then do some up beat soul or something. I never set out trying to go for anything in particular.

IMO, I think you have to be at least somewhat picky about the samples you use... That way instead of just freeballin it, you got a sense of where you goin wit the flip...

Back