Are you afraid of sampling "cliche" artists/songs?

Sixth

I've read and heard some producers who dislike sampling say an Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Isley Brothers song because they feel those artists have been sampled to death. So they're more likely to pass over their records and look for something more obscure.

Does anyone agree with this train of thought? I can see the point, but honestly I feel like if you wanna sample Between The Sheets again or any James Brown break, go for it.

Kind of, the main reason I dont like sampling certain artist is because I dont like it when people recognise the sample I flipped anyway there is enough music out there to find something that not many people know.
Ive heard some people say that they wont sample anything thats been sampled before, everyone has their rules.

The thing about that though is that there's A LOT of stuff that's been sampled before.

Won't pass over their records, but would most likely buy them for listening purposes only. Might flip a "cliché" sample for fun if I really feel something, but I wouldn't end up on a beat tape.

Its a totally different train of thought from generation to generation. This generation will sample anything they can get. The previous generations wanted to bring something forgotten and update it in hip hop form. This generation wants to manipulate a song and use it to create their own creation. Neither side is wrong but I think the train of thought is just different. I look at the flip this forum and see that every time I post a sample. I tend to post songs by groups or bands that are not as well known but the samples or songs are crazy. They generally go ignored. I post Diana Ross and everyone is on it. It also helps if theres a dope obvious loop in there that they can flip like 9th wonder or J Dilla

I used to not want to go in on heavily sampled artists just because I figured I couldn't make a better beat than said producer who already went in on it. I don't feel that way so much anymore but I still tend to stay away from records that have been heavily sampled for the sake of originality. Then again you always gotta go check cause you'd be surprised what's been looked over on some albums or how you could use your own ingenuity to flip something like no else has.

Its a totally different train of thought from generation to generation. This generation will sample anything they can get. The previous generations wanted to bring something forgotten and update it in hip hop form. This generation wants to manipulate a song and use it to create their own creation. Neither side is wrong but I think the train of thought is just different. I look at the flip this forum and see that every time I post a sample. I tend to post songs by groups or bands that are not as well known but the samples or songs are crazy. They generally go ignored. I post Diana Ross and everyone is on it. It also helps if theres a dope obvious loop in there that they can flip like 9th wonder or J Dilla

not every past generation wanted to bring something forgotten to hip hop

I sample anything now..
the old way I used to chop samples I wasn't really good and manipulating the sample to well.. now my chops are not really recognizable

Yep, like M-chop said. Just slicing sample is not the whole job. What i do, for example, I slow it down, adjust the grain, add some overdrive, then filter it low-pass and here we go. + some modulations

Iam not afraid I just think it's lame IMO it's like go dig them crates I just heard a mixtape on 2 dopeboyz where i could I.d every sampled beat on the tape he Even sampled "between the sheets" lol which should be illegal to sample in 2011...

yeah, i rather flip unknown records.
but now i got to the point where i add my own instruments to the beat so even when i sample a famous song from the radio i still make it sound original.

Iam not afraid I just think it's lame IMO it's like go dig them crates I just heard a mixtape on 2 dopeboyz where i could I.d every sampled beat on the tape he Even sampled "between the sheets" lol which should be illegal to sample in 2011...

See I never have a problem with knowing the sample while hearing the beat. As long as the beat is hot, someone could sample the piano loop from Drive Me Crazy by Brittney Spears and I'd be fine with it.

Now if you take the sample used for Jay-Z's "U Don't Know" and basically try to do the same thing Just Blaze did with it, then that's wack.

i pass on those too. even maybe something a little more rare thats been sampled by a well known producer i skip over too unless i just have to have it

Back