Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will someone please explain to me...

rek1 is offline Registered User
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Think u may be making things a little more complicated than they are..first thing first-u gotta have a good ear for samples in general,and what makes a dope beat,obviously..as far as chopping,I think the best way to learn is to start w records w no drums..be it jazz,soundtracks ,whatever. From there look for joints that have multiple chords that play out for maybe quarter bar,half bar,and one bar lengths...try to get u a good handful of different chords and just start playing around w them over some drums.this will give u a good feel of what its like to rearrange samples into new,original melodies. From there..a good way to go is to try sampling some songs w drums-- with much slower tempos than your drum pattern.make simple chops on the kicks and snares..play around w them by laying the down beat chops over the kicks on your drum pattern,and the snare chops over the snares in your drums...real simple,and actually a really good example of this is like 99% of Apollo browns beats,lol..don't worry about setting endpoints,just have your chops on gate and play around,see what u can come up w...try sampling from.all over the record too-- not just some 2 bar 16th note autochop lameness,get creative...after u get comfortable w this,you'll be able to get more intricate w the chops..you'll not only be learning how to make a beat,but music structure in general,which is a huge factor in being a good beat maker.keep at it...
    Last edited by rek1; 12-23-2012 at 01:06 AM.

AfroThunder is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rek1 View Post
    Think u may be making things a little more complicated than they are..first thing first-u gotta have a good ear for samples in general,and what makes a dope beat,obviously..as far as chopping,I think the best way to learn is to start w records w no drums..be it jazz,soundtracks ,whatever. From there look for joints that have multiple chords that play out for maybe quarter bar,half bar,and one bar lengths...try to get u a good handful of different chords and just start playing around w them over some drums.this will give u a good feel of what its like to rearrange samples into new,original melodies. From there..a good way to go is to try sampling some songs w drums-- with much slower tempos than your drum pattern.make simple chops on the kicks and snares..play around w them by laying the down beat chops over the kicks on your drum pattern,and the snare chops over the snares in your drums...real simple,and actually a really good example of this is like 99% of Apollo browns beats,lol..don't worry about setting endpoints,just have your chops on gate and play around,see what u can come up w...try sampling from.all over the record too-- not just some 2 bar 16th note autochop lameness,get creative...after u get comfortable w this,you'll be able to get more intricate w the chops..you'll not only be learning how to make a beat,but music structure in general,which is a huge factor in being a good beat maker.keep at it...
    ok another question do my drums i add to the sample have to match the samples drums or is there a way i could duck the samples drums down???

rhythmgj is offline Character in Spades...
    OK, two different things, as the poster above was suggesting that you look for sections to sample without drums. And "match" can mean a number of things. If you mean beat/tempo-wise, then yes of course they have to line up. If you mean sonically, not necessarily, you can pick sounds that you like and that you think fit, and layer them. Sometimes stacking is actually the best way to get good solid drum sounds.

As to "removing" the drums from an already mixed tune, it is so difficult and beyond where you're at technically right now as to put it in the "impossible" category. Just choose your samples wisely.

GJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information