Why Doesn't Anyone Dig Anymore

Vantage_West said:
why are there one faction against the other. your both exposing yourselves if you dont use both ditc and e-digg

ditc for breaks and obscure stuff
3-digg for sfx and vox

most of you are really being arrogant to think that ditc is 'the' way. you have a whole world on the internet and to not use it would just be due to a hard nose attitude. in the 80' the internet was nothing, nothing at all. but now we have good places to get some sound effects, vocal pieces and even accapella's. for god sake this is a forum which includes "flip this" you telling me that that isnt sampling? and that your lazy to do so?

but to go on to the tails side of the coin

you are nieve to think that you can get everythign on the internet. maybe some bits and pieces but no one is adding a congo riddim from an obscure album some where no way. just songs that people have already heard and uploaded. im not sayingf that is lazy as you have looked and technically digged without leaving the house. but you are not getting you full potential by not getting what you want. obscure breaks and obscure sounds and melodies which are never NEVER NEVER goign to be uploaded.

you would be a fool to miss out on the stuff on the internet and just a bigger fool to think you can get enough samples and pieces from the internet.

i just feel like this is a thread about how to be a "proper" producer. and to be a proper producer you seem to have to do everyting like what the pro's do. especially when these pro's are in there late 30's or 40's doing somthing quite archaic in the grand scheme of things.

i dont think you should knock either your both looking for the same thing samples to make a complete different song.

70% ditc
30% e-digg
U missed my point in making this thread. I am not saying don't download. I am saying why are people only satisfied with downloading? Why don't people dig and download on average? There are a lot of purists I wouldn't consider myself one.

I can't believe no one has talked about sound quality yet. Records are an amazing source for quality sounds for a lot of reasons but for me nothing else sounds like a record. Records made before the 80's (and even a lot of records up until 2000) were made on an all analog channel path. When you convert music to digital like when you sample something or record it into your computer you are making an estimation of that sound. In analog your resolution is infinite. So if you sample a record of a song and then sample an mp3 of the same song your getting drastically different recordings. That is one of the reasons that I still dig for records. Nothing has the same feel and sound.

Also I am not a purist I will use some stuff I find on the internet or if I can only find it on cd. People have also stopped digging as much because it is very expensive to clear sample.

Anybody kno any good diggin spots n Miami????...PLEASE ANSWER...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your point. But that should mean more records for those who dig right? Or is it ppl are downloading songs you spent your prescious time diggin for? LOL, I mean if its hot its hot...period, no rapper is gonna say "did you get dat off vinyl, i dont want dat if its not off vinyl man"....If it comes out hot, its hot..

I dig too btw lol

Its not about people downloading the rappers wondering at least for me its not. Its about finding that ish that nobody else can find or nobody else would use. It seems like nowadays everyone is using the same samples, the same drums makin the same kind of beats and its boring as hell. Do people even enjoy the music anymore or are they looking to rape someone elses tracks?

i love to dig...just found some sweet ass old vinyl soundtracks of some old batman episodes and 'the journey to the center of the earth' mostly vocal samples but theres a few musical tidbits that can be used. Maybe some people dont dig cause they dont have the money, weak excuse but the money does add up over time...

veck said:
i love to dig...just found some sweet ass old vinyl soundtracks of some old batman episodes and 'the journey to the center of the earth' mostly vocal samples but theres a few musical tidbits that can be used. Maybe some people dont dig cause they dont have the money, weak excuse but the money does add up over time...
thats what im talkin about. this is the kind of thing u can't always download. some samples just can't be found online and I bet not a lot of people have those samples either. I hear u about the money yea shopping in the dollar bins do add up over time but idk maybe I am one of the last few that see it worth it. I love the crates

SOOPA said:
I see your point. But that should mean more records for those who dig right? Or is it ppl are downloading songs you spent your prescious time diggin for? LOL, I mean if its hot its hot...period, no rapper is gonna say "did you get dat off vinyl, i dont want dat if its not off vinyl man"....If it comes out hot, its hot..

I dig too btw lol

lool...I meant more records for us crate diggers but others cats dl in minutes,what it took us hours or even weeks to find...haha
I agree that if shyt is hot,it's hot....period.
Now I do both,but when I dig,I'm mostly looking for obscure records straight in the dollar bin section:)

Blackxrob said:
haha for sure. if no ones diggin for them records then more for me!!

but everytime i go into thrift stores theres always some old people buying all the records, and they always get there right when a new shipment comes in.

and i over hear the workers talking about all the records they have in the back that they havent put out yet. i think next time i go in im gonna ask if they have any recrods in the back that i can check out. im sure thats where all the gold is.
yo my brother used to work the donations at my local goodwill and he said there one dude back there that decides what goes out and what getr thrown away. That guy must be a moron, because everytime i go digging there theres about 400 christmas records to every decent one. They throw out tons a shiut, and all the dumpsters are locked. Id be back there diggin throw the trash if it wasnt.

DJ_Illogix said:
yo my brother used to work the donations at my local goodwill and he said there one dude back there that decides what goes out and what getr thrown away. That guy must be a moron, because everytime i go digging there theres about 400 christmas records to every decent one. They throw out tons a shiut, and all the dumpsters are locked. Id be back there diggin throw the trash if it wasnt.

damn. im for sure bout to ask next time i go in. or im gonna ask for a job. haha

orjanbeats said:
I live in Norway myself, we dont have a very GOOD selection of record stores, but its still possible to hit the crates, and I cant see Denmark being very different.

Haha, pleeeeease

The city I live in only have 2 stores that sell vinyl, and the vinyl they have cost 2-3 times more than their cd's (they're way overpriced)

Xabiton said:
Everyone seems to download everything nowadays. Its a shame that this is the digging forum and nobody digs. Whats up with that?

I get samples where ever I can find them. My Grandfather gave me some old vinyl he had and I have sampled that. I go to soul blogs, flea markets, and ebay. There are so many places to look now, hell, I feel bad for the local record store....

PEACE

DJ_Illogix said:
They throw out tons a shiut, and all the dumpsters are locked. Id be back there diggin throw the trash if it wasnt.

God invented bolt cutters for a reason.

I personally have trouble using something i didn't find on a record. I don't know, i just get more focused when i'm using vinyl. It's no elitest mentality, it's just hard for me to just click on a song and download. Listening to records just gets my focus up, makes me really start listening. Going through 30 min of music or so just puts me in that mode.

it's the age of digital diggin' ... sometimes I go diggin' w/ SSP for cds, his vinyl ain't up there yet cause his turntables are being fixed ...

i dig. i don't care about what other heads are doing. i do me. digging is part of the art of hiphop. if you forget about that element, what is to separate you from 95% of the bull**** that's out there these days?

to not care about what everyone else is doing is to not care about hip hop. digital digging is not digging. its being handed samples that u didnt have to work to find. the main part about digging in the crates was actually digging, fishing and searching for your vinyl. its like a woman half the fun is the chase

you're right. i do care about hiphop though. i care about it deeply. its probably one of the few things i actually do care about. i do my part by digging and making the realest music to myself. ya dig? cuz i do : )

Back