Why Doesn't Anyone Dig Anymore

Jehfee said:
because I get this annoying noise when I try converting my vinyl to mp3, and whats pisses me off, is that my table and needles work fine, but i still get this annoiing noise...so i dont dig nomore..
if they work fine why r u getting noise? u likely aren't tracking loudly enough or something in the signal chain needs to be cleaned

Xabiton said:
lol trust me im not uptight about not knowing ur music

Whatever man, I don't know what your issue is. You say people don't dig anymore I said I do and you get all fruity. Makes no sense amigo.

I'm glad peeps aren't digging. Less supply and demand that I have to worry about when digging for records. I love it when people look at me crazy when digging in army surplus,resale shop and etc. One thing that gets me is cats say they only buy dollar records.... but will go and spend atleast 15 dollars on some modern day wack cd.

Last edited:
haha for sure. if no ones diggin for them records then more for me!!

but everytime i go into thrift stores theres always some old people buying all the records, and they always get there right when a new shipment comes in.

and i over hear the workers talking about all the records they have in the back that they havent put out yet. i think next time i go in im gonna ask if they have any recrods in the back that i can check out. im sure thats where all the gold is.

skitzofraen said:
Well im from Denmark, most of the gems outthere is impossible to find on vinyl in my country... I like vinyl, but to be honest, I don't see the point in diggin'... I mean, allmost everything that's worth listening to can be found on the internet, so there's really no need to make things harder on yourself... Google is my number 1 diggin' spot :)
the whole point of diggin in the first place was to find something obscure and not so popular. back in the day, when you sampled something, your goal was to get your folks to give you props and ask what was it that you sampled, and you took pride in them not knowing and not being able to find out. thats why dj's used to cover thier labels at parties so people couldn't bite thier sht. i think people today miss the whole point of digging, which is to find something obscure to sample. sampling a top 40 hit by al green or some other popular artist garnered you no respect amongst your peers cause they knew automatically what it was that you sampled and they knew you didn't dig very deep to find that sample. i'm speaking from an old school crate diggers point of view, not just someone lookin for music to listen to. if your just lookin for music to listen to, nothing is more convienent then typin a name in a searchbox and downloading the songs you want. as for being a tru-skool DITC hip hop producer, diggin is the core of that, not downloading. i'm not tellin anyone what they can or can't do or what is hip hop and what isn't, i'm just giving a historical recount of what DITC* is really about.
LevLove

*DITC, for those who don't know stands for Diggin In The Crates, which is a core element to hip hop production. there was also a crew call DITC, it was more like a collective of crews, which consisted partly of Showbiz & A.G., Lord Finesse, Diamond D and others. i'm going off the top of my head so forgive me for forgetting. i also remember Fat Joe being down with them as well. basically the point of crate diggin was to find something rare, obscure, and not so popular to sample, nothing online is rare, obscure, although it may be not so popular, but with that said, there's no such thing as "e-diggin", thats called downloading, nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:
skitzofraen said:
Well im from Denmark, most of the gems outthere is impossible to find on vinyl in my country... I like vinyl, but to be honest, I don't see the point in diggin'... I mean, allmost everything that's worth listening to can be found on the internet, so there's really no need to make things harder on yourself... Google is my number 1 diggin' spot :)
I live in Norway myself, we dont have a very GOOD selection of record stores, but its still possible to hit the crates, and I cant see Denmark being very different.

skitzofraen said:
I mean, allmost everything that's worth listening to can be found on the internet,
Haha, pleeeeease

LevLover said:
*DITC, for those who don't know stands for Diggin In The Crates, which is a core element to hip hop production. there was also a crew call DITC, it was more like a collective of crews, which consisted partly of Showbiz & A.G., Lord Finesse, Diamond D and others. i'm going off the top of my head so forgive me for forgetting. i also remember Fat Joe being down with them as well. basically the point of crate diggin was to find something rare, obscure, and not so popular to sample, nothing online is rare, obscure, although it may be not so popular, but with that said, there's no such thing as "e-diggin", thats called downloading, nothing more nothing less.
While I agree that "e-digging" is nothing more than downloading, you can find some really obscure **** if you know where to look.
I'd rather own the record though, personally.

You already know i'm a crate digger all day.

Yo Kev you should check Noble out, he is the drum break king.

skitzofraen said:
allmost everything that's worth listening to can be found on the internet

Lmao woooow.

Guilty J said:
You already know i'm a crate digger all day.

Yo Kev you should check Noble out, he is the drum break king.

Lmao woooow.
damn Im sure between the 2 of us then the drum break collection would be crazy.

Just dig yesterday, really didn't find much worth while. This one rock record might got a drum break I there.

But, I did get Whodini "Escape" LP for listening purposes.

AND does anyone want a Near Mint copy of Rick James "Street Songs"? lol

It's very true...e-digging is just lazy,easy and convenient.I started digging seriously about 10 years ago and didn't even have a turntable!!Now,I don't do as much because of space restrictions.
Yes,although there's some fine mp3's that can found online,there's plenty of obscure and I say really obscure shyt that can only be discovered through proper crate digging.
There's nothing more fun that finding that cool piece of wax and then finding some ill samples on there...
But it's an exciting time for those that dig because one can find good a$$ records for real cheap:)

I'm the owner of records i can't find online, i tried, cause some of the records are a lil damaged. So i'm proud of that selection i got, but most rappers don't really give a **** i've noticed, so when i'm in a lazy mooth i just e-digg.

Last edited:
lil jbm said:
I'm glad peeps aren't digging. Less supply and demand that I have to worry about when digging for records. I love it when people look at me crazy when digging in army surplus,resale shop and etc. One thing that gets me is cats say they only buy dollar records.... but will go and spend atleast 15 dollars on some modern day wack cd.

You took the words RIGHT OUTTA my mouth man. Dope comment lol.

why are there one faction against the other. your both exposing yourselves if you dont use both ditc and e-digg

ditc for breaks and obscure stuff
3-digg for sfx and vox

most of you are really being arrogant to think that ditc is 'the' way. you have a whole world on the internet and to not use it would just be due to a hard nose attitude. in the 80' the internet was nothing, nothing at all. but now we have good places to get some sound effects, vocal pieces and even accapella's. for god sake this is a forum which includes "flip this" you telling me that that isnt sampling? and that your lazy to do so?

but to go on to the tails side of the coin

you are nieve to think that you can get everythign on the internet. maybe some bits and pieces but no one is adding a congo riddim from an obscure album some where no way. just songs that people have already heard and uploaded. im not sayingf that is lazy as you have looked and technically digged without leaving the house. but you are not getting you full potential by not getting what you want. obscure breaks and obscure sounds and melodies which are never NEVER NEVER goign to be uploaded.

you would be a fool to miss out on the stuff on the internet and just a bigger fool to think you can get enough samples and pieces from the internet.

i just feel like this is a thread about how to be a "proper" producer. and to be a proper producer you seem to have to do everyting like what the pro's do. especially when these pro's are in there late 30's or 40's doing somthing quite archaic in the grand scheme of things.

i dont think you should knock either your both looking for the same thing samples to make a complete different song.

70% ditc
30% e-digg

Last edited:
Back