Why do somany people hate on loops?

2nyce inc. said:
loops are simple , sometimes i think some beats are meant to be looped because if you try to complicate things thenit becomes to much in one beat.Some of the hotest beats out are looped. i dont hate on the loopers at all

2nyce inc? dude you totally jacked my FP name. hahha its all good its not my "producer name" or anything.

It's like this, if you do music do it to your ability. If you can loop do it, if you can chop do it, if you can play a whole track and make it do it. I do all three. I can loop the hell outta track but I add on it to give it spice. I can chop a sample to death and I can make tracks from scratch with absolutely no samples.
www.soundclick.com/danoc You can check all my tracks and all these are done from scratch no loops. I don't put loops or samples here because then somone can find out that sample then bammmmmmmmmmmmmm my original is copywritten so I don't worry :)

Why do people worry so much about how the next man makes his beats? Make ur money and keep it movin

2nice said:
second.... we all know that a song is more than a continuous loop. so if you sample 2 bars of whatever and just add drums and it sounds good, congrats on making a good loop but thats not a song buddy. a song requires some sort of arrangement, and theres only so much arranging that you can do with just a loop and drums. so you will probably want to add some things. since i assume we are talking about tonal samples (samples involving notes, as opposed to a sample of a noise), all sorts of issues with conflicting tones may start to arise when you layer samples from different sources, which may involve serious technical intricacy when it comes to setting things right (not to mention the issue of syncing the tempo between two layered samples from different sources).
/QUOTE]

Last time I checked:

Song= Instrumental + Vocals

Most of the beats deemed classics are nothing more than loops...

But at hte end... who cares?

A 'Producer's' talent shines through in his ear. Some people pick samples that loop them, speed'em up..w/e...and I honestly say... I would've never recorded that ish... I would've kept goin...

Good music is good music... the job of a producer is to sell an idea to an artist... not overshadow them showing off your 'skills'.

kid848 said:
Last time I checked:

Song= Instrumental + Vocals

Most of the beats deemed classics are nothing more than loops...

if you want to be picky, fair enough, perhaps "instrumental piece" would be a better term than "song". but a proper "piece" involves arrangement to make it more than just something that loops up and occasionally drops the drums. perhaps there are some "classic" beats that dont really take it this far, but i have never looped a sample and left it at that... i always build it up to make the track more involving. its not a matter of showing off my skills, but a matter of engaging the listener, as i have heard tons of people complain that bare loops are boring.

building up a beat includes, like i said, adding live instruments, introducing more samples, etc... and like i said, this can involve some serious technical intricacy (often more than if i had started with an original composition, as i have to deal with off-tune samples, roundabout tunings of my live instruments to match the key of the sample, layered samples of different keys/tempos that have to be adjusted to allow proper counterpoint and timing, and careful mixing when its all put together (the more varied your sound sources, the tougher the mixing process)).

unfortunately most of the beats on my soundclick page are live instrument beats (few sample beats) so i cant provide an example right now. when i get home tonite i will upload something that better illustrates this.

Last edited:
2Nice,
You summed it up nicely...
I was listening Diamond D first album and it was so dope,It's one of those albums that you could listen from beginning to the end.
It's about making dope music....that's it and simplicity is genius...

Xabiton said:
word to that.

You gave the wrong person credit...

I SAID THAT!!

...lol

2nice said:
if you want to be picky, fair enough, perhaps "instrumental piece" would be a better term than "song". but a proper "piece" involves arrangement to make it more than just something that loops up and occasionally drops the drums. perhaps there are some "classic" beats that dont really take it this far, but i have never looped a sample and left it at that... i always build it up to make the track more involving. its not a matter of showing off my skills, but a matter of engaging the listener, as i have heard tons of people complain that bare loops are boring.

building up a beat includes, like i said, adding live instruments, introducing more samples, etc... and like i said, this can involve some serious technical intricacy (often more than if i had started with an original composition, as i have to deal with off-tune samples, roundabout tunings of my live instruments to match the key of the sample, layered samples of different keys/tempos that have to be adjusted to allow proper counterpoint and timing, and careful mixing when its all put together (the more varied your sound sources, the tougher the mixing process)).

unfortunately most of the beats on my soundclick page are live instrument beats (few sample beats) so i cant provide an example right now. when i get home tonite i will upload something that better illustrates this.

But you're missing the spirit of hip hop. Hip hop is about out of key and off tune samples... provided it still sounds good... Hip hop is about everything that is unconventional. Hip hop is about everything that other genres like r n b, rock, and classical aren't... it's about being different, having no technical training... **** proper...excuse my french...

Leave the prim and proper stuff to classical music. What's proper about a grown ass man wearing his pants below his ass crack w/ a shirt that's either 5 sizes too large or a wife beater that's 3 sizes too small? absolutely nothing.

As a hip hop producer, you're role is to help the artist express their ideas. I get tired of hearing hip hop producers say "I want to express myself thru my music".. no... if you want to express yourself thru music, go make some jazz music... if you want to be a producer, you help your artist get their idea into a set form.

I hate people that walk around w/ their nose in the air because they over complicate things... And they do it for hte 'art'... I'm not trying to hear it

Last edited by a moderator:
werd i say it as art cuz i jus call my art my expression cuz im very quiet but anything that can be considered as art i can talk on and on about and in some beats i do try to express myself cuz ill be the one doin the song. but i do agree.and i was just thinkin about everything u said then i read it.like hip hop is the thing that you cant break down to a science it has no definate blueprint but thats why we love it thats y hip hop is art to me

kid848 said:
But you're missing the spirit of hip hop. Hip hop is about out of key and off tune samples... provided it still sounds good... Hip hop is about everything that is unconventional. Hip hop is about everything that other genres like r n b, rock, and classical aren't... it's about being different, having no technical training... **** proper...excuse my french...

dr dre would strongly disagree with you. theres a reason he works with trained musicians who have tons of music theory knowledge on top of precise chops with their instruments. do you think he would better capture "the spirit of hip hop" if he worked with crap musicians who had "no technical training" and played "out of key and off tune"?

sorry if this comes off as patronizing, but every time i hear a beatmaker say something along the lines of "key doesnt matter" or "the progression of notes doesnt matter", i immediately think, heres someone who is yet to discover the beauty of a well-placed note.

you dont even have to get complicated with your musical arrangements, often there is strength in simplicity. but there is a big difference between music that is simple and music that the composer didnt care about because he thought he could pass it off as being "in the spirit of hip hop". there is musical substance behind every track, its a mistake to view that substance as something arbitrary.

Last edited:
well to me it doesnt matter as long as in the end it sounds good dr.dre to me isnt that spectacular just cuz he been here all this time the key thing is true i know key does matter but if it matters so much i think dr.dre's beats would be alot better

2nice said:
dr dre would strongly disagree with you. theres a reason he works with trained musicians who have tons of music theory knowledge on top of precise chops with their instruments. do you think he would better capture "the spirit of hip hop" if he worked with crap musicians who had "no technical training" and played "out of key and off tune"?

sorry if this comes off as patronizing, but every time i hear a beatmaker say something along the lines of "key doesnt matter" or "the progression of notes doesnt matter", i immediately think, heres someone who is yet to discover the beauty of a well-placed note.

you dont even have to get complicated with your musical arrangements, often there is strength in simplicity. but there is a big difference between music that is simple and music that the composer didnt care about because he thought he could pass it off as being "in the spirit of hip hop". there is musical substance behind every track, its a mistake to view that substance as something arbitrary.

... I didn't say that there was no space for correct key..etc.in Hip Hop...but don't look down your nose at me because I dont' know wtf a chord is...

I'm banging keys until somethin sounds right... ALOT of producers do work w/ real musicians and I'm not getting into the "what is hip hop" argument... I'm just goin to leave it at... it's not always necessary to have any musical training... period.

i think you should have some basic musical terms and concepts like a chord i mean god damn u should at least know what a chord is. Trust me if you want to get anywhere you don't want to be caught in an awkward situation when you don't know what a chord is or worse a bar. I bang on the keys too but i feel it is helpful to atleast know these terms so if i happen to be in the same studio as some person witgh connections and they start speaking w/ musical terms i won't look like a total dumb****. I'm planning on training myself musically so i will have more freedom when i am producing for ppl but i don't want to take it to the point where it limits my creativity but i like supplementing my natural "musical instincts" w/ more indepth training.

No technical skills...

My theory is: If it sounds good...use it.

For those who think it takes no technical skills to hook a loop up:
Do it! Seriously, if making Hip Hop beats takes no skill then damn, you should be making a living just making beats. Don't tell me you wouldn't make money off of it if you could.

No offence to anyone in particular. Really though...I don't think anyone here has a full time job selling beats (This INCLUDES me). We are all living proof that however simple it seems...its really not that easy to make people want to dig in their pants, pull out some money, and buy your CD (over and over and over). That why we are here, sharing, teaching, and learning.

Peace,

Powder

bobsmitt said:
i think you should have some basic musical terms and concepts like a chord i mean god damn u should at least know what a chord is. Trust me if you want to get anywhere you don't want to be caught in an awkward situation when you don't know what a chord is or worse a bar. I bang on the keys too but i feel it is helpful to atleast know these terms so if i happen to be in the same studio as some person witgh connections and they start speaking w/ musical terms i won't look like a total dumb****. I'm planning on training myself musically so i will have more freedom when i am producing for ppl but i don't want to take it to the point where it limits my creativity but i like supplementing my natural "musical instincts" w/ more indepth training.

Eh...

I mean, I know what a chord IS...I know how to read notes... I know SOME background in music (I played the piano for a few years)... but I can't stand when people say... "you can't make beats unless you can play Beethoven's Fur Elise perfectly"...

kid848 said:
but I can't stand when people say... "you can't make beats unless you can play Beethoven's Fur Elise perfectly"...

yo fur elise isnt even that tough.

just kidding.

sorry for being a little too critical of what you had to say. i checked your soundclick link and i liked your stuff, which is all that really matters to me, so all this theory talk is a bit superfluous.

kid848 said:
Eh...

I mean, I know what a chord IS...I know how to read notes... I know SOME background in music (I played the piano for a few years)... but I can't stand when people say... "you can't make beats unless you can play Beethoven's Fur Elise perfectly"...

totally agree...
In a lot of cases those "people" have the musical training that some kids should've had in school and they bring their arrogance and lack of hiphop knowledge.And they will hide their insecurities by thumbing their noses down to those producers who don't have their knowledge of music theory.
And one huge problem was when the rise of the "hiphop producer" came to play and cats started to seek the approval of the music industry.
I read Miles Davis autobiography and he understood that music is simply sounds put together in order to create a song,that's it!!
Of course,a minimum of knowledge is required but too many producers are over-complicating their music for the wrong reason.And that's why I'm not really down with current hiphop.
Who cares what people that don't take the time to understand the culture think!!!!

2nice said:
yo fur elise isnt even that tough.

just kidding.

sorry for being a little too critical of what you had to say. i checked your soundclick link and i liked your stuff, which is all that really matters to me, so all this theory talk is a bit superfluous.

lol... Fur Elise is my favorite piece... though I can only play the first measure or two...

But no offense taken... the world is way too serious for my liking... everybody needs to lighten up... especially sense we are 'musicians'... if I may call myself that...lol... are just another form of entertainment, if we can't lighten up...then who can...

thesouthotmack said:
I always hear a bunch of people in here hating on loops like 2 bar or more. I herd people knock on dre. and other producers for not being creative and just looping ish. But to me i hear a loop and it sounds so sick, and then most the time when some one chops the fAwk out of it it doesn't sound have as good. I'm not trying to diss anyone because my skills are about as good as a 3 year old but I just don't know why people gotta hate the loop.:cheers: beer

you know dawg you are right you are right on the god damn nial but in the end you gotta do whats just good for you, loop your heart out chop up what ever the hell you whant the more rules you follow the less likely you are of making your own beat rather then someone elses beat so my advice to you man do what ever the hell you whant and always be creative

Back