Why do so many people only dig digitally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xabiton

Cupcake God
I am curious why so many people have no real desire to dig for vinyl and only dig digitally. i am not knocking it just trying to get a better understanding. To me I have only been able to find the really popular stuff online but the stuff I am trying to find (usually because they are hard to find on vinyl) are almost always no where to be found online. That being said why sample the same shit everyone else is? No diss just trying to understand how other people work maybe Ill learn something new

Cheaper, easier and quicker. It's just like the "Digital" vs "analogue" wars people had back in the day. To be honest it's the outcome that matters to me.

i usedta go out lookin for records... screw that now... i'll let u young mofos have that fun... i have no time to spend that type of money anymore... i might spend a few dollars if im with friends, but i havent done that in years... the internet is my store now... for me, its just like when u see an ol' skool dj using serato scratch or something that makes his life easier... h's done it the old way for years, and now he wants it quik and simple... thats where im at... but for u young guys? shame on u, if u havent went diggin at the store yet... hehe

da relic

It's free, easy and you will find more good music than you ever will in real life.

To me I have only been able to find the really popular stuff online but the stuff I am trying to find (usually because they are hard to find on vinyl) are almost always no where to be found online.

Where are you looking...?

maybe sum ppl cant afford to buy a turntable,maybe there arent any record shops in the area they live in...i mean dont get me wrong,i do both...but sum ppl juss dont have the same opportunity as others

Man I couldn't afford a turntable so I went on ebay and found one for $25. Thats what I'm usin now and rockin with it!

I personally don't really make sampled beats musically. I usually just sample drums and compose over it with my own music. I don't have any record shops close by so to be ordering boxes of records on a regular basis online just for a few new drum hits doesn't seem practical. I like to make complete sampled beats too for fun, but realistically I don't expect to do anything with the final product because I'm not going to pay to clear the sample. Plus I don't get as much satisfaction out of it compared to composing a song from scratch that I can claim all rights to and shop to record labels and such. But I do love sampling as a hobby, just not enough I guess to make buying records a regular expense.

To be honest, if I didn't just learn about flac files, I probably was about to stop sampling altogether or buy some cheap cd's from the oldies section, because mp3s just suck and should not be sampled.

Besides, you can chop/flip a sample thats been used a hundred times into something completely different so the popularity of the sample is not really an issue.

It's free, easy and you will find more good music than you ever will in real life.

Where are you looking...?
I find all kinds of stuff in real life but I have been digging for a while too. I can find almost anything I want within about an hour of my house. Plus the aspect of digging imo is fun as hell. I get a rush out of finding vinyl that I have never seen or heard of before. To me the digging aspect is more fun than the actual beat making process. I don't have any specific sites that I use. I usually just google around and see what I can come up with. Again popular stuff is mad easy to find. Most of its on youtube. Its the other stuff thats harder to find. There is no way humanly possible that every single song that has been pressed to vinyl has been digitized either, I refuse to believe that over 100 years worth of music that has spanned across all genres for most of that time has been digitized and put on the internet in the last 10. A lot of stuff has though. Mostly popular stuff

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

yes......stop feeding me crack if you dont like it cuz I get all my damn samples from FP
I am not knocking digital digging I just don't get why more people don't physically go to the record store anymore. I am trying to see things from the next persons pov

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

maybe sum ppl cant afford to buy a turntable,maybe there arent any record shops in the area they live in...i mean dont get me wrong,i do both...but sum ppl juss dont have the same opportunity as others
that may be true. I havent seen every area in the world so I can only speak on those that I have seen and been to and most of them had record stores within an hour drive. A lot of people say they can;t afford things but then they can afford to buy a $400 cell phone every 3 months but can't go on ebay and spend $50 on something they claim to be serious about. Its funny to me

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

I personally don't really make sampled beats musically. I usually just sample drums and compose over it with my own music. I don't have any record shops close by so to be ordering boxes of records on a regular basis online just for a few new drum hits doesn't seem practical. I like to make complete sampled beats too for fun, but realistically I don't expect to do anything with the final product because I'm not going to pay to clear the sample. Plus I don't get as much satisfaction out of it compared to composing a song from scratch that I can claim all rights to and shop to record labels and such. But I do love sampling as a hobby, just not enough I guess to make buying records a regular expense.

To be honest, if I didn't just learn about flac files, I probably was about to stop sampling altogether or buy some cheap cd's from the oldies section, because mp3s just suck and should not be sampled.

Besides, you can chop/flip a sample thats been used a hundred times into something completely different so the popularity of the sample is not really an issue.
do you not enjoy the music you are sampling? are you only doing it for sounds? again not knocking you but if thats the case why not go grab one of those break compliation cd or something? i mean they have one called all the breaks with all the popular breaks u will need or want. And for me I actually try to avoid sampling a song that I know has been sampled by someone else. I don't want to sample the same songs as everyone else unless its for a specific purpose. The results at times can be very interesting but I would rather have someone find a sample that I flipped and say hey look I flipped the same sample as you just different rather than hey look I sampled the same sample Black Milk did look at how I did it you know

X stick to one side. You are in one thread talking about the MPC is not really relevant, yet in this one are promoting vinyl over digital.

Its not like you need an MPC to sample

That is not the point. I was just saying it is ironic to assert in 1 thread that digital is the way to go, but then come in this one and say that the physical is better.

MPCs are digital. Its a computer. He's just sayin that MPC's aren't the almighty beat machines that people think they are.

do you not enjoy the music you are sampling? are you only doing it for sounds? again not knocking you but if thats the case why not go grab one of those break compliation cd or something? i mean they have one called all the breaks with all the popular breaks u will need or want. And for me I actually try to avoid sampling a song that I know has been sampled by someone else. I don't want to sample the same songs as everyone else unless its for a specific purpose. The results at times can be very interesting but I would rather have someone find a sample that I flipped and say hey look I flipped the same sample as you just different rather than hey look I sampled the same sample Black Milk did look at how I did it you know

Well I listen to all kinds of music just as a fan, classick rock, soul, funk, jazz, 30's/40's swing, doo-wop, 80's pop, hip hop, soft rock, just about everything except country. So my digging usually starts with me just looking for something new to listen to that I never heard before but even when listening to songs that are huge records or that I know have been sampled, if I'm just listening as a fan of the song and I hear just a note or two that gives an idea then I'll run with it and see what comes from it.

I hear what your saying though I don't just go looking for songs to flip just to see if I can do it different than someone else, but I always keep an ear open to any sounds that catch my attention that I might use in the future and at least write them down. But even then I don't use many musical samples, mainly sample drums

Thats a good idea to get a break cd because mostly I just chop up drums for my own songs and when your making all the rest of music to the song yourself, having the same snare or kick as some else really means nothing, and after EQ and tuning its really not even the same anyways. I can see where doing a whole song of samples how the selection of samples being original and unique is important though because thats a big part of what makes it original if no other instruments are added.

Honestly i've never been one of those beat nerds who are strictly vinyl, or anti-mp3. Honestly i think those dudes are straight up losers. I will scour blogs looking ill stuff. Chop it up. No big deal. Vinyl is dope and all. But to me, my motto is, "if its dope, and there, im chopping it", and if thats not respecting the "ART",then fuggit. I could care less. Theres more things important in my life than collecting records to sample. Real Talk

Honestly i've never been one of those beat nerds who are strictly vinyl, or anti-mp3. Honestly i think those dudes are straight up losers. I will scour blogs looking ill stuff. Chop it up. No big deal. Vinyl is dope and all. But to me, my motto is, "if its dope, and there, im chopping it", and if thats not respecting the "ART",then fuggit. I could care less. Theres more things important in my life than collecting records to sample. Real Talk
Boom. Couldnt have said it any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back