Where does J dilla and Black milk get their tones from?

good to hear others that see how amazing dude was.......he had a sound quality that was so ahead of most everyone.......his beats would bang like crazy on anything, even on the first slum tape......that would blaze the street in my car stereo back in the day

Freebeezy said:
dilla sampled a lot of psych progressive rock type of stuff from round the world.......plus he played a lot of stuff, and he was real good

i think this should point you in the right direction as far as sounds.....

lol. yea the xs came out after he died. whether he had it before jan 06 or not is irrelevant to my arguement tho. the xs isnt what i was trying to stand up for. i thought that dude was stating that dilla would never use a motif. dillas motif could have been the original or the model after that. so, miscommunication on my part. even tho it is def def more than possible that a producer like dilla couldve got his hands on it early.

DUSTY B said:
I nominate for dumbest post of the year, and with this one post gets another nomination for moron of the year.

lol. dude likes to flame people on forums because his nuts are to small to do it anywhere in person. this man has probably never stood up for anything in his life. i feel sorry for such negative people. you trully are why the world is in need of positive change. i shall pray for you

Last edited:
Big dilla.. Kev brown..Ill mind..Black milk fan myself.. Couln't exactly tell you where they got their tones from but I have a hunch . below is a link to a joint I created using garage band basically my freestyle impression of that kind of style. not the best quality but you get the picture. Was just messin around w the instuments in GB and was able to flesh a lil something out - no samples just the instruments. I actually have a much better beat in that style - I'll post later

his newest album he did alot of live instrumentation, and im pretty sure a moog like listed above. He only did one soul sample on the whole cd, and it still turned out to be my fav album of 08/09 so far.. dudes crazy versitile!

Far as bass goes I recommend just doin some research. If you know how they all sound, their characteristics, you know where to go. Then you can take any synth that has some decent sounds and LFOs and just keep tweakin until you come up with somethin you want.

Course there are some synth that just have some dope presets. Like that MicroKorg... and the Minimoog. Man don't get started on the minimoog you'll be hooked to that thing like a crackfiend and not leave your house for weeks.

Back