Where do you find new music to sample from?

Just listen to a wide range of music. Get a feel of the diffrent genres. Like another person said, whosamped.com is good for a resource.

lol.............

You know that means. Even less originality than before. Producers of the future will be basically reissuing beats that others produced. There's a term called "BITING" that used to mean something. Whosampled.com provides the part of the record that the previous producer used. That's way different than stumbling upon a record that someone else used. When you come across a sample that has already been used, you have the whole song to listen to and arent influenced to use the same part of the song that was already used. Your ear decides what part of the record you're gonna use so you're developing your own style whereas using whosampled, you're just recycling other's ideas. That's why I appreciate 9th wonder so much, even with his wack drums. It's his chops that sets him apart. You can learn alot about chopping samples from him. He'll flip a record that was used before but chop up the parts that everyone else overlooked. He extended the life of soul records that had been used and abused. You can learn alot though by listening to original samples then listening to how one of the greats flipped it. I could understand someone using whosampled.com just to learn about beatmaking but just not for your own sample source though. Dont let technology spoil you to the point that you rely on everything digitally and online. Still get out in the real world, dig for records. You gotta be able to put technology in it's proper perspective. Overkill can actually stunt your growth in many areas.

Last edited:
No doubt b.
It's become acceptable to Bite and Dickride nowadays and cats don't even care about being original or learning about the culture.They think a cracked version of FL and sites like whosampled basically spoon feeding them samples makes them a producer.Which it doesn't.It's crazy to see so many cats wanting to "remake" beats or want to be the Next "________"(insert producer name) instead of wanting to be the first "______"(insert your name).It's sad to see how far the culture and music has fallen.

And i know there are cats who think there are no "rules" or whatever but i don't respect them and don't care what they have to say anyways.There might not be written rules but there is an honor code that most of these new jacks don't know or don't respect.

Peace

Last edited:
I've noticed many people on here, post lengthy lists of rules - those sacred do's and don'ts, or what-ever hallowed pillars wisdom they deem proper practice. For me there is only one golden rule, that is; their aren't any rules or guidelines that will help you create any art form, sample what the hell you like from where ever you like, if it's a smash, at some stage, it's gonna cost you money anyways.

Don't sit down looking for music with the intent to sample. Like don't get on youtube right before you're about to open up your DAW and look for something that sounds hot or you'll probably have a hard time. Personally, I feel pressured whenever I do this, kinda takes away my creative buzz and makes listening to music feel more like an obligation. Just kickback for a while when you're not seshin and listen to some new stuff you don't regularly listen to. I don't see a problem with whosampled unless you're gonna sample what's already been done. Look up songs and artists related to those samples. Just LISTEN to music. Build up a library and then come back to the sampling part. It just feels more organic and easier that way for me.

Last edited:
I have a local radio station that plays a lot of older music, I usually listen to that and Shazam whatever I want to sample or I just go through YouTube and I know its not the best way, but if i hear a sample i really like on a different beat, I'll find the sample and use it in an entirely different way.

No doubt b.
It's become acceptable to Bite and Dickride nowadays and cats don't even care about being original or learning about the culture.They think a cracked version of FL and sites like whosampled basically spoon feeding them samples makes them a producer.Which it doesn't.It's crazy to see so many cats wanting to "remake" beats or want to be the Next "________"(insert producer name) instead of wanting to be the first "______"(insert your name).It's sad to see how far the culture and music has fallen.

And i know there are cats who think there are no "rules" or whatever but i don't respect them and don't care what they have to say anyways.There might not be written rules but there is an honor code that most of these new jacks don't know or don't respect.

Peace

Exactly. Tell someone they're being unoriginal and they will use the excuse that the original producer sampled it from a record so it's ok for them to sample a sample(lol). Respecting pioneers and the forefathers in any industry is a unique human trait. Our first instinct is to tell the older person "shut your old azz up, times have changed". It's human nature. As much as I respect my parents, they are times when I tune them out. I dont want to hear about what happened twenty years ago all the time. I do know that you should know the past in order to move towards the future.

Last edited:
Exactly. Tell someone they're being unoriginal and they will use the excuse that the original producer sampled it from a record so it's ok for them to sample a sample(lol). Respecting pioneers and the forefathers in any industry is a unique human trait. Our first instinct is to tell the older person "shut your old azz up, times have changed". It's human nature. As much as I respect my parents, they are times when I tune them out. I dont want to hear about what happened twenty years ago all the time. I do know that you should know the past in order to move towards the future.

LOL.......yeah that sampling a sample thing is HILARIOUS to me but cats today don't think there's anything wrong with it.And i couldn't agree with you more about knowing the past to move towards the future.I think cats think Hip Hop is just music,and it's an actual culture.Not knowing where it comes from just seems mad disrespectful to me if you say you love it.There's a deep history and artform that comes with the music and to ignore that just seems ignorant.But to each his own.I usually just ignore those dudes anyways.

Peace

Last edited:
I think people like the idea of hiphop and the money to be earned... theres a couple fps on here that have no sense of respect for the culture.... like... its just music....
it's like i can feel it while reading there post...

Worst part is some of them might be the ones who make it and have a living off of something that they like... not love
mine as well be in a cubical...
But theirs not enough admiration and street respect in a job like that......right

Reminds me of a thread i read the other day... like

Do you think using someone else melody,sample choice,chops and just adding my drums is beat jacking if i think i could do better.....
WTF....no respect for your counterparts,culture, or self
But why not if it gets you admiration and street respect... right

Kanye call em "Cultural Vultures"

]I think people like the idea of hiphop and the money to be earned... theres a couple fps on here that have no sense of respect for the culture.... like... its just music....
it's like i can feel it while reading there post...

Worst part is some of them might be the ones who make it and have a living off of something that they like... not love

Too many cats wanna be a celebrity, not a producer. They wanna get the shine that cats like johnny juliano and cardiak get without putting in any of work those guys put in.

That's why I can't respect cats who use "warez". If you wanna make beats invest your craft and buy it.

But yo think of business opportunities the Culture Vultures present: They wanna make music with as little effort as possible. Make drums kits and construction kits for them. If you know synthesis design patches for synths so they can sound like their favorite producer...that's what I plan to do. ;)

Last edited:
mine as well be in a cubical...

I don't even know what this means. Do you know how many people working cubicles aren't there because they like it? That are only there because they tolerate it or actively hate but they're just happy to be able to put food on the table? I can't fathom why we're slamming the concept of making a living doing something that you "like" as opposed to "love". That sounds like the ultimate of just splitting hairs.

I sample from anywhere! Records, tapes, movies, video games, etc. I use to own over 5000 records; which I had been gathering since about 1983 from all genres, but they got ruined when I moved and had to store them in my farther's garage during a hot summer. Damn that still pisses me off! So now with starting over the main branch of the library is the shit! Not that I know every artist, but I'm finding familiar artist and unfamiliar artists alike. They have a collection that I've been calling the lost collection. Me, my laptop, and my portable usb turntable have been finding some great samples. I just go in on my day off and record entire albums to my laptop. I a 2tb drive at home that all of the albums to. I still hit thrift stores and yard sales for records tho. Then I sell the records to the record shop after I put it on my harddrive.

Here's one of my tips, a secret in a way but its all good...Say for instance u want to sample a 70s Soul track...Pick an artist of group from that time, like The Delfonics...Now search for albums from the artist u choose...Then YouTube every song on the album until u find the track u like...Go track by track instead of randomly selecting artists to sample...Works wonders

I'm exposed to sounds 24/7 (tv, video games, movies, random sounds, shows, etc) so i always have something to sample. If something grabs my attention i take it and start working.

Back