What is Sampling??

F

FADERPHYSICS

Sorry to ask . What exactly is it -
what i think it is: basically using a pre recorded sound in your own beat. I mean i know where sampling is used, im a big fan of Jay dee/ madlib and thes one - they all seem to sample non stop.

but then how can one sample a break ?? Are you basically recording the different drum hits and using the sequencer ?

I know this question is vague but if anyone can shed some light on the topic id be happy.

Cheers

Sampling is just using another sound in your own production, in the classic sense its sampling loops, phrases, hits from vinyl nad sequencing then to create your own track, in the wider sense anything that is prerecorded is a sample, ie anything that is not 'generated' by a synthesiser, most forms of music nowadays have utilised sampling in one sense or another

FADERPHYSICS said:
but then how can one sample a break ?? Are you basically recording the different drum hits and using the sequencer ?
Cheers
by looking at your gear list it seems like you already know the basics of software, so im just gonna say, to sample a break, you can just loop up like a bar or two, or you can go in and use a software program such as RECYCLE, since you're using reason, and chop each individual hit, and then you can have them all spread around a keyboard, and rearrange the break

sample = recorded audio

press a button on a 909 drum machine and your playing a sample. I don't think anyone would call you a thief for doing so.

Back