What are the royalty issues concerning snythisizers?

Squeeckey

Producer/Songwriter
Say I get a free piano synth, and want to use it in a beat of mine. Assuming you can't change anything on this synth, Do I have to clear this synth before I can use it? If I can make several changes, does this sound become mine when I change it? Also, I use Native Instruments Massive for my bass sounds. Am I allowed to use massive in my beats professionally without having to pay native instruments for sample clearance?

When you acquire these "synths", you also a acquire a non-exclusive license to use them in any manner, royalty free

So does that mean I get the license to use them royalty free when I purchase them? or when I download/possess said synth?
A lot of my synths were free, a couple I paid for. Also, thank you for the quick reply, this forum is awesome.

Last edited:
either or - purchase brings the license with it.

Installation is where you actually agree to the EULA (End User License Agreement) which is pretty standard these days

Okay so even freeware counts as well, but the EULA can still vary so should I make sure I read them?
Appreciate the feedback, I'd be lost without y'all.

Last edited:
Always read the EULA even if you think that you know what it should say - some unscrupulous souls may insert a gotcha that ruins your life if they follow through

Of note is the M$ EULA term which prohibited reverse engineering; this is the practice of black box engineering the functionality of a piece of software without seeing the original code-base. It is what M$ did with the MAC OS to create Windows. M$ had a single copy of the OS and Apples original source for the applications Write, Paint, Calc, Draw, given to them to create a viable enhanced suite of software for the Mac which we now know as Word, Excel, etc (Office).

M$ had two independent teams that never crossed paths working on both of these products (Office and Windows) as well as a member of the Mac team reporting on their observations of what the system did in response to any user action - end result reverse engineered Windows is actually a different take on the Mac OS ideas of WIMP - Windows-Icons-Menus-Pointers (mouse or other interactive device) originally developed by Xerox at Palo Alto research Center and which Apple bought lock, stock and barrel and integrated into the Lisa and then the Macintosh.....

Always read the EULA even if you think that you know what it should say - some unscrupulous souls may insert a gotcha that ruins your life if they follow through

Of note is the M$ EULA term which prohibited reverse engineering; this is the practice of black box engineering the functionality of a piece of software without seeing the original code-base. It is what M$ did with the MAC OS to create Windows. M$ had a single copy of the OS and Apples original source for the applications Write, Paint, Calc, Draw, given to them to create a viable enhanced suite of software for the Mac which we now know as Word, Excel, etc (Office).

M$ had two independent teams that never crossed paths working on both of these products (Office and Windows) as well as a member of the Mac team reporting on their observations of what the system did in response to any user action - end result reverse engineered Windows is actually a different take on the Mac OS ideas of WIMP - Windows-Icons-Menus-Pointers (mouse or other interactive device) originally developed by Xerox at Palo Alto research Center and which Apple bought lock, stock and barrel and integrated into the Lisa and then the Macintosh.....

interesting post...

Back