What do you use to chop samples?

I do Edison then move the chops to the fpc n play them out....

I never understood the whole slicex fruity slicer usage thing....
-to much time for me....

The Slicex is all in one instrument so you can edit, chop, resample and play the chops all inside one channel rather than bouncing the chops into another sample and wasting time and CPU.

That's why I use it at least. If someone knows a more efficient and detailed way id be open to it.

i use reaper to chop samples, just disable snap then move start and ends of the sample to where i want then use the fades to control the tail and freeze it to a new sample.

I love using Edison because I feel have the most control over what I want to use. Then I take it & hit the piano roll & do some more work with what I cut. Everyone has their technique & it just boils down to what's comfortable for you. :)

Last edited:
I cant get enough of my good old Cool Edit!

Yeah, I used to use Adobe Audition 1.5 for chopping samples, but I find Maschine Studio work flow just as effective, but with more options.. instead of dragging chops into DAW, it's already in the Maschine software.. have way more freedom to chop on the fly

Last edited:
Since you mentioned Pro Tools, here's a couple things I have done. First is duplicate the playlist a couple times, then make a blank playlist at the top. Put your track into playlist view, now for the clip in playlist 1, you can go to Edit > Separate> At Transients. This will separate the clip at transients. For the clip in playlist 2, you can go to Edit > Separate > At Grid, which obviously will separate the clip according to your grid values. You can create a bunch of playlists and with the original clip on each, and cut it different ways. Now, you can send chunks from each playlist up to the top (blank) playlist and create your chopped/comped take. Then if you want to rearrange you can switch to shuffle mode and drag stuff around. This is a really great way to both chop loops/beats/samples, and either rearrange into something or glitch the hell out of it.

I use the ASR-10 or Pro Tools, depends of the sample size and complexity of it.
Thanks to share your technique DGT, I was looking for a more efficient way to chop in PT and ill try your method tonight for sure.
Generally in PT, i grab beat detective, analyse the sample then separate to transients. Then I just cut the unwanted clips and d&d the whole thing in Structure. (under 3mn for the whole process with each slice assigned to keys/pads)

I tried to use elastic audio, but I don't understand how to use it efficiently. Im coming from the ASR-10, so I've never used timestreched tools.

Last edited:
before i copped my mpc i was using sound forge...now i chop right in the mpc..best investment i ever made besides my laptop

Hm...well the ones i like are
slicex
recycle
wavepad
studio one's playlist
and reaktor's.

Slicex is my most used one due to how imageline just did it right when they made that sampler.Studio one's isn't too far off either but there should be a chop by absolute peak option like in slicex

Back